[Rdo-list] [RDO-Manager] Rewriting instack scripts into python?

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 09:06:42 UTC 2015

(moving this thread upstream where it belongs. It should probably in
fact be on openstack-dev, I'll leave that step to someone else however.)

For context: This is a debate over whether to have a common library for
combining instack deployment commands, and hoe the unified CLI plays
with that library. I have edited a bit for length, apologies if I have
distorted anyone's meaning.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 08:06:47AM +0200, Jaromir Coufal wrote:

> On 23/04/15 04:07, James Slagle wrote:

> >>Definitely get input from our field folks on this topic.

[snip]

> [...]
> >to *type* those into their shell? I hope not.
> >
> >Let's suppose we document it that way...in my experience the most likely thing
> >someone would do (especially if they're repeating the process) would be to
> >copy/paste those 12 commands out of the documentation, and write their own
> >shell script/deployment tool to execute them, or just copy/paste them
> >straight into their shell, while perhaps customizing them along the way.
> >
> >That would certainlly be a totally valid way to do it.
>
> If user has homogeneous environment, he can have just one simple flavor. If
> he has heterogeneous or he wants to get more specific, he will take
> additional actions (create more flavors or deal with edeploy matching).
>
> You are overstating - at the moment the problem with those 6 commands is
> really how the instack scripts are written. So that I could get us out of
> scripts and replace flavors script I had to create three flavors instead of
> one.
>
> >So...why don't we just give them that shell script to start off with?
> >Better yet, let's write something we'd actually like to support long term (in
> >Python) and is just as flexible, perhaps taking json (or more likely YAML tbh)
> >as input, with a nice Python program to log stuff and offer --help's along the
> >way. Something that's actually supportable so we could ask: What input did you
> >provide to this tool and what was the output? VS. How did you customize these
> >12 commands, now go please run these other commands so we can figure out what
> >happened.
>
> Yes, let's write something what we support longer term. Didn't we agree it
> is unified CLI? Didn't we agree we should support and improve it? Feeding
> another yaml file to create a single flavor? I disagree that this is better
> user experience.
>

> >I'm already seeing developers and external people saying that it's too much
> >as-is and that they're going to write custom tooling to help out. Why wouldn't
> >we just offer that already (especially when 90% of the code is already written
> >upstream), and still be able to keep all the flexibility, as long we actually
> >document how it works, and what commands you'd run to customize it?
>
> Are these developers real world users in production environments? Ask field
> guys. The feedback you are getting is from people who are running these
> commands 20 times a day. Then it is valid point that it is too many steps
> for them. But this is *completely* different use case than production
> environments.
>
> And we will not get out of the use case that people will write automation
> scripts. But instack will not help them with that because they will write
> very specific automation scripts on top of their production environments and
> they will use our CLI as the basis.
>
> We should focus on production environments first and then simplify for POCs.
> Not vice-versa. And not improving the scripts.

I'm sorry to say this Jarda but I think I am with James and Ben
here -- although this discussion is way too short on specifics, which I
think is part of the problem.

What I think Ben is proposing is a Python library that will encapsulate
the business logic that we need to do a deployment. If that's the case,
then I think that yes, that is exactly what we need. If I understand it
correctly the first version of this library will have some things
like flavor matching hard-coded, but we will add the ability to
configure those things as the library matures. I think this makes a ton
of sense.

I don't believe that having this library in any way precludes use of the
unified CLI, although it may change the way the CLI works -- certainly,
we would want the CLI to be able to take advantage of the business logic
in the library.

Finally, I completely support your desire that the individual operations
the manager is taking during deployment be well documented. However, I
don't think that need for documentation also means that the recommended
path for users should be to follow each individual step.

I think the only genuine disagreement here is over the usability of the
manager CLI -- the idea that "instack is never going to go away and the
unified CLI will never become the primary interface" is a red herring
and I think we should stop chasing it. Given that, if we're having a
debate about usability, let's please get some actual examples on this
thread and get some folks like Jacob to see for themselves what we're
talking about.

Thanks,
--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Senior Engineering Manager, Cloud Engineering                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey