[Rdo-list] [rhos-dev] [RDO-Manager] Rewriting instack scripts into python? Why?

James Slagle jslagle at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 11:01:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 08:06:47AM +0200, Jaromir Coufal wrote:

> On 23/04/15 04:07, James Slagle wrote:

> >>Definitely get input from our field folks on this topic.
> >>
> >>You are basically recapitulating the entire argument against packstack (not
> >>flexible enough, obscured details) that brought about foreman installer (too
> >>many parameters and steps) and then staypuft (difficult to automate, etc.)
> >>
> >>Up to this point our field folks have mostly ignored our installers for all
> >>but the simplest POCs.
> >>
> >>My personal belief is that a well documented and complete CLI is an absolute
> >>necessity to tackle and automate real world deployments. A big reason
> >>Foreman failed IMO is because it did not have hammer out of the box. I
> >>submitted the original RFE to include hammer but it didnt make it until
> >>foreman was dead.
> >>
> >>A GUI and unified deployment scripts are nice to have but are not
> >>replacements for complete CLIs + docs.
> >
> >I'm just replying to the thread, I'm not picking on your specific point :-).
> >Your feedback is really good and something that we need to keep in mind.
> >
> >However, this discussion isn't actually about POC vs production vs flexibility.
> >That's pretty much a strawman to the discussion given that the 'openstack
> >flavor' command is already there, and will always be there. No one is saying
> >you shouldn't use it, or we shouldn't document why and how we use flavors. Or
> >for that matter that any amount of customization via flavors wouldn't
> >eventually be possible.
>
> But this is our primary focus - production ready flow. Which we should test
> as soon as we can and it is still not out there. So this discussion actually
> is about it. And also about production ready people's user experience.
>

> >There's also going to be a big difference between our end user documentation
> >that just gets you any repeatable process (what we have now), and advanced
> >workflows we might document for the field or consultants, or hide behind a "not
> >officially supported without RH consultants" banner.
>
> End user documentation is not what we have now. What we have now is very
> narrow restricted flow for people to get started with 1 controller and 1
> compute -- which is just POC. With zero knowledge of what is happening in
> the background.
>

> >Moreso, the point is that:
> >
> >The shell script we currently have, the proposed Python code, and the proposed
> >documentation change all are 100% equivalent in terms of functionality and
> >flexiblity. The proposed documentation change doesn't even offer anything other
> >than replacing 1 command with 6, with no explanation of why or how you might
> >customize them (that's why I say it's worse).
>
> First of all -- reason why it *has* to run 6 commands is how was written the
> instack deployment script which requires 3 flavors with very specific name
> for each role, despite the fact that one of the roles is not deployed.
>
> If user follows regular way (when we get out of the deployment scripts), he
> [...]

This is why this is not a POC vs. production discussion:

- What you've proposed is in no way any more flexible or production ready than
  what we have today. You've proposed documentation changes that offer no
  explanation of how anything works, why you would change it, what effect that
  might have and uses only hardcoded values. That is functionally equivalent to what
  we already have.
- Rewriting our existing shell script into a more supportable and flexible tool
  is what we're getting with the proposed Python change. If you would go look
  at the code review posted and os-cloud-config, you'd in fact see it's
  obviously not just for one flavor at a time. Honestly, we're going to do this
  regardless, it will be upstream improvements (b/c already exists there). If
  the choice is made not to consume such a tool in rdo-manager, that would
  certainly be a fair choice.

Both of the above points move us no further or away from POC vs production. If
you'd like to see us move towards what you consider a production environment,
your documentation changes should include the what/why/how and show the
flexibility. I agree this is the right direction to go, but I disagree that
anything currently proposed has a tangible effect on that.

--
-- James Slagle