[Rdo-list] Installing RDO w/ Foreman + icehouse and ml2 plugin

Mike Orazi morazi at redhat.com
Sun Mar 16 15:53:34 UTC 2014

Andrew,

See a few comments inline below, but first thanks for giving the foreman
installer a shot.  It looks like you have had a good amount of success
and made some good discoveries along the way!

I really appreciate the fact that you have gotten so far & the feedback
on areas where you are running into issues.

Thanks,
Mike

On 03/16/2014 08:02 AM, Andrew Lau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So far, I've been successful with the following setup on havana, but
> icehouse had issue as below:
> 1x Controller
> 2x Compute + Network + Gluster
>
> I forked the astapor repo so I can run the compute + networker in the
> same module, along with a few other tweaks. [1]

Nice -- this is one variation that a lot of people seem interested in.
We'd probably have to give some thought on how to fold things together
but I bet it would be a good candidate for further discussion and
potential inclusion at some point in the future.

> So far everything is working, I plan on uploading my notes in a few days
> but I've run into a few issues which I'm hoping someone could help:
>
> - When using the icehouse repo, the controller hostgroup will install
> but httpd will fail with 'no listening sockets available, shutting down,
> Unable to open logs'. There were no selinux denies, or anything else in
> the log files.
>
> - >From a brief look at the manifest and trial and error, it looks like
> the ml2 plugin does have some support in the quickstack files. It
> however fails at the neutron-db-manage. Manual steps: [2]
> Error Output: [3]

The team has been working to track down the remaining issues in
neutron-db-manage.  John Eckersberg (added to the message to make sure
he sees this) is eck or jeckersb on irc and is likely a good person to
coordinate with in terms of the foreman side of the equation.  He has
been working with some neutron folks to try to run this down.

> I'm aware there's a few new projects going on to bridge the foreman and
> rdo integration, I like the current foreman setup because it's very
> customizable, but the key flaws are too many options. ie. if I'm using
> VLANs, I don't want to see tunnel options etc.

Yes!  A lot of the present work can be broken down into 2 bits.  The
quickstack work proper to make several reasonably easy to deploy cloud
examples + a good amount of usability work that is presently just
getting started to help weave things together a lot more elegantly for
end-user consumption.  A lot of the "I'm using VLAN please don't bother
showing me params that apply only to tunnel solutions" falls into that
latter set of work.