[Rdo-list] Installing RDO w/ Foreman + icehouse and ml2 plugin

Andrew Lau andrew at andrewklau.com
Mon Mar 17 10:19:19 UTC 2014

Hi Mike,

A few extra discoveries and notes, both icehouse and havana aren't
including the admin_hosts override after the install. I need to re-import
the puppet classes, override the admin_hosts variable in the
controller/compute sections and then update the variable in the hostgroup
settings. I'm confused, why this is used if there's already priv and pub
host.

Further notes inline.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 2:53 AM, Mike Orazi <morazi at redhat.com> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> See a few comments inline below, but first thanks for giving the foreman
> installer a shot.  It looks like you have had a good amount of success
> and made some good discoveries along the way!
>
> I really appreciate the fact that you have gotten so far & the feedback
> on areas where you are running into issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>

> On 03/16/2014 08:02 AM, Andrew Lau wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > So far, I've been successful with the following setup on havana, but
> > icehouse had issue as below:
> > 1x Controller
> > 2x Compute + Network + Gluster
> >
> > I forked the astapor repo so I can run the compute + networker in the
> > same module, along with a few other tweaks. [1]
> >

> Nice -- this is one variation that a lot of people seem interested in.
> We'd probably have to give some thought on how to fold things together
> but I bet it would be a good candidate for further discussion and
> potential inclusion at some point in the future.

It would be a nice concept if the modules could be integrated as nested
hostgroups, it would just be a matter of having to some how remove the
duplicate class calls when they get nested.

> > So far everything is working, I plan on uploading my notes in a few days
> > but I've run into a few issues which I'm hoping someone could help:
> >
> > - When using the icehouse repo, the controller hostgroup will install
> > but httpd will fail with 'no listening sockets available, shutting down,
> > Unable to open logs'. There were no selinux denies, or anything else in
> > the log files.

The "Listen 0.0.0.0:80" in /etc/http/conf/httpd.conf some how does not get
added, I noticed in the  havana modules, it would keep removing and adding
this. I recall seeing somewhere this related to puppetlabs/apache. So
havana it works, icehouse no..

> > - >From a brief look at the manifest and trial and error, it looks like
> > the ml2 plugin does have some support in the quickstack files. It
> > however fails at the neutron-db-manage. Manual steps: [2]
> > Error Output: [3]
>
> The team has been working to track down the remaining issues in
> neutron-db-manage.  John Eckersberg (added to the message to make sure
> he sees this) is eck or jeckersb on irc and is likely a good person to
> coordinate with in terms of the foreman side of the equation.  He has
> been working with some neutron folks to try to run this down.

I look forward to hearing from him.