[rdo-users] Verify Tunnel Traffic

Todd Leishman toddleish at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 15:23:38 UTC 2019

Hello Javier,
Thank you for your help!  I did as you suggested and used OVN instead of
OVS.  The tunnels now show as correctly configured when I run ovs-vsctl
show.

I don't think I would have figured that out on my own and have made the
suggestion on GitHub to update the documentation.

Again, I appreciate your help.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 10:40 AM Javier Pena <jpena at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello Tod,
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Hello,
>
> I am setting up OpenStack with Packstack – 1 Controller node + 2 Compute
> Nodes.
>
> In the instructions here:
>
> https://www.rdoproject.org/install/adding-a-compute-node/
>
> It says to “Set CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_TUNNEL_IF to eth1 or whatever name your
> network card uses.” In order to isolate tenant traffic.  I have done this
> (although using ens2f1).
>
> After running Packstack with the answer file, my line:
>
> Set CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_TUNNEL_IF=ens2f1
>
> Is changed to:
>
>               Set CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_TUNNEL_IF=
>
> The ens2f1 has been removed.
>
> How do I verify in OpenStack that the tunnel has actually been created and
> that tenant traffic is actually using ens2f1?
>
> If you used the Stein release, you will probably have OVN by default
> instead of OVS, so the docs will need some update (you can propose the
> change yourself by clicking on the "Edit on GitHub" ribbon if you are
> interested).
>
> In that case, you should have set CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVN_TUNNEL_IF=ens2f1
> instead.
>
> For OVN, you can check the tunnels running "ovs-vsctl show". If the
> command shows some ports like the following:
>
>         Port "ovn-e9d95c-0"
>             Interface "ovn-e9d95c-0"
>                 type: geneve
> remote_ip="192.168.122.129"}
>
> With remote_ip being the IP of another machine, then the tunnel is set up
> correctly.
>
> Regards,
> Javier
>
> Thanks for your help!