[rdo-users] Validation failure logs, OOO Quickstart

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Sat Nov 11 00:41:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 5:12 PM, James LaBarre <jlabarre at redhat.com> wrote:

> I keep trying to build tripleo-quickstart with different parameters, and
> at the end of a 2+ hour process, it fails at validation.  Problem is,
> even with a "verbose" option in the command, I have absolutely no clue
> on why the build failed.  Just where does the process keep it's log
> information?
>
> With the verbose option, it bombs out at :
>
> =================================
>
> TASK [did the deployment pass or fail?]
> task path: /root/.quickstart/playbooks/quickstart-extras-overcloud.yml:41
> Friday 10 November 2017  16:57:13 -0500 (0:00:00.071)       2:12:25.331
> *******
> fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {
>     "changed": false,
>     "failed": true,
>     "failed_when_result": true,
>     "invocation": {
>         "module_args": {
>             "var": "overcloud_deploy_result"
>         },
>         "module_name": "debug"
>     },
>     "overcloud_deploy_result": "failed"
> }
> =================================
>
> I'd really like to figure out where it's failing, rather than having to
> run yet another 2 or more hour run just to see it fail at the end (I had
> tried caching the image files locally with the hopes I could cut the
> build time down, but that hasn't cut off enough time).
>

> Starting the build with:
>
> export OOOtimestamp=`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M`
> export GenConfig=minimal
> export ReleaseName=pike
> export ClusterNodes=config/nodes/3ctlr_1comp.yml
> bash quickstart.sh --playbook quickstart-extras.yml --bootstrap
> --no-clone --config config/general_config/${GenConfig}.yml -t all -S
> overcloud-validate -R ${ReleaseName} -N $ClusterNodes -v 127.0.0.2 |&
> tee ~/OOOlog_${OOOtimestamp}.txt
>

> (I'm using the variables so I can have a consistent run script, should
> probably make the timestamp log name run as part of the command)

Seems like this job should would be the closest equivilant [1]
Pike has been passing consistently there, so we'll have to figure out why
your
deployment is failing.

If your deployment is failing there should be a file in /home/stack/ called
failed_deployments* [2]
There are two files there and should lead you down the path to what is
failing.

Also there is no reason to restart from scratch each time.  If you
deployment fails
1. ssh -F ~/.quickstart/ssh.config.ansible undercloud
2. debug and or change the params in overcloud-deploy.sh
3. (delete the overcloud) source stackrc; openstack stack delete $name (
overcloud )
4. Rerun overcloud-deploy.sh from the overcloud

Ansible will not format errors very well, so quickstart doesn't even try.
All the logs
relevant to your deployment will be on the undercloud in /home/stack and of
course
the logs on the overcloud nodes in /var/log will be useful as well.

You will probably find it handy to look through our logs as well.
Hope that helps

[1]
https://thirdparty.logs.rdoproject.org/jenkins-promote-rhel-pike-rdo_trunk-virtha-3ctlr_1comp_192gb-28/
[2]