[rdo-dev] [cloudkitty][rdo] Broken cloudkitty RPMs on CentOS8

Pierre Riteau pierre at stackhpc.com
Fri Aug 21 08:39:21 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 11:46, Alan Pevec <apevec at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> > I submitted a patch to raise the minimum requirement for dateutil in
> > cloudkitty: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/742477/
> > However, how are those requirements taken into consideration when
> > packaging OpenStack in RDO? RDO packages for CentOS7 provide
> > python2-dateutil-2.8.0-1.el7.noarch.rpm, but there is no such package
> > in the CentOS8 repository.
>
> RDO sticks to the version from base OS if a package is available
> there, as long as it works with upstream projects.
> In EL7 base python-dateutil 1.5 was too old so it is overridden by an
> updated version in the RDO repo.
> When we moved to EL8, python3-dateutil 2.6 included in the base OS was
> new enough so it was no introduced in RDO for EL8.
> The whole process of maintaing RDO deps is documented at
> https://www.rdoproject.org/documentation/requirements/
>
> > Would it be better to just remove the use of tz.UTC? I believe we
> > could use dateutil.tz.tzutc() instead.
>
> Yes backward compatibility would be good, if the upstream project is
> happy with "available in RHEL8 base repo" justification.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your answer. We're changing code to be compatible with
older dateutil versions: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/747057/

However, did you notice that oslo.log also claims to require
python-dateutil>=2.7.0? [1]
It's not clear whether that's really needed: it used to require 2.5.3,
but that was bumped in [2] to synchronize with lower-constraints,
which itself must have been pulled from another dependency (but I
don't know which one).

[1] https://opendev.org/openstack/oslo.log/src/branch/master/requirements.txt#L13
[2] https://opendev.org/openstack/oslo.log/commit/d0cd199ce88e40c427c09f553a5d96d93ffa09e6