[rdo-dev] [cloudkitty][rdo] Broken cloudkitty RPMs on CentOS8

Alan Pevec apevec at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 09:46:17 UTC 2020

Hi Pierre,

> I submitted a patch to raise the minimum requirement for dateutil in
> cloudkitty: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/742477/
> However, how are those requirements taken into consideration when
> packaging OpenStack in RDO? RDO packages for CentOS7 provide
> python2-dateutil-2.8.0-1.el7.noarch.rpm, but there is no such package
> in the CentOS8 repository.

RDO sticks to the version from base OS if a package is available
there, as long as it works with upstream projects.
In EL7 base python-dateutil 1.5 was too old so it is overridden by an
updated version in the RDO repo.
When we moved to EL8, python3-dateutil 2.6 included in the base OS was
new enough so it was no introduced in RDO for EL8.
The whole process of maintaing RDO deps is documented at
https://www.rdoproject.org/documentation/requirements/

> Would it be better to just remove the use of tz.UTC? I believe we
> could use dateutil.tz.tzutc() instead.

Yes backward compatibility would be good, if the upstream project is
happy with "available in RHEL8 base repo" justification.

Cheers,
Alan