[rdo-dev] HAProxy 2.2 in RDO repositories

Alan Pevec apevec at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 11:58:13 UTC 2020

Hi Carlos,

> Octavia roadmap includes adding support to new features and performance improvements only available starting in HAProxy 2.0. CentOS 8 ships with HAProxy 1.8, and according to the package maintainer there are no plans to provide HAProxy 2.x in a foreseeable future.
> I have rebuilt HAProxy 2.2 from Fedora rawhide against CentOS 8 and CentOS Stream in [1] and validated it passed Octavia tests in [2] [3] (patchset 3, ignore newer ones).
> We would like to check if it would be possible to provide the latest stable LTS HAProxy 2.2 in RDO repositories.

Since HAProxy is networking related and could be used outside
OpenStack, I'd like to consider building and hosting it by rebooted
NFV CentOS SIG.
We should avoid pilling up deps in RDO repos, adding them is the last
option as per our deps guidelines [1]

Can you also give us short intro how is haproxy included and used in Octavia?
If it were a containerized service, we might be able to take the
container image from Openshift/OKD ?

Cheers,
Alan

[1] https://www.rdoproject.org/documentation/requirements/