[rdo-dev] HAProxy 2.2 in RDO repositories

Carlos Goncalves cgoncalves at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 09:50:37 UTC 2020

Octavia intensively builds atop HAProxy to provide a load balancing as a
service in OpenStack.

HAProxy 2.x includes many new features and improvements such as end-to-end
HTTP/2, gRPC, enhanced TCP Fast Open (TFO), tunning for optimal
performance, and improved HTTP/2 support.

Octavia roadmap includes adding support to new features and performance
improvements only available starting in HAProxy 2.0. CentOS 8 ships with
HAProxy 1.8, and according to the package maintainer there are no plans to
provide HAProxy 2.x in a foreseeable future.

I have rebuilt HAProxy 2.2 from Fedora rawhide against CentOS 8 and CentOS
Stream in [1] and validated it passed Octavia tests in [2] [3] (patchset 3,
ignore newer ones).

We would like to check if it would be possible to provide the latest stable
LTS HAProxy 2.2 in RDO repositories.

Please share any comments, questions or concerns you may have.

Thanks,
Carlos

[1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/cgoncalves/haproxy/
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/744102/