[rdo-dev] Cycle Trailing Projects and RDO’s Latest Release Train

Rain Leander rleander at redhat.com
Tue Oct 22 14:40:27 UTC 2019

If the article isn't posting correctly, please feel free to visit it
directly at
https://blogs.rdoproject.org/2019/10/cycle-trailing-projects-and-rdos-latest-release-train/

---

The RDO community is pleased to announce the general availability of the
RDO build for OpenStack Train for RPM-based distributions, CentOS Linux and
Red Hat Enterprise Linux. RDO is suitable for building private, public, and
hybrid clouds. Train is the 20th release from the OpenStack project, which
is the work of more than 1115 contributors
<https://www.stackalytics.com/?metric=commits> from around the world.

The release is already available on the CentOS mirror network at
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/cloud/x86_64/openstack-train/.

BUT!

*This is not the official announcement you’re looking for.*

We’re doing something a little different this cycle – we’re waiting for
some of the “cycle-trailing”
<https://releases.openstack.org/reference/release_models.html#cycle-trailing>
projects that we’re particularly keen about, like TripleO
<https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-docs/latest/developer/release.html> and
Kolla
<https://docs.openstack.org/kolla/latest/contributor/release-management.html>,
to finish their push BEFORE we make the official announcement.
Photo by Denis Chick on Unsplash

Deployment and lifecycle-management tools generally want to follow the
release cycle, but because they rely on the other projects being completed,
they may not always publish their final release at the same time as those
projects. To that effect, they may choose the cycle-trailing release model
<https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/release-management.html#trailing-the-common-cycle>
.

Cycle-trailing projects are given an extra three months after the final
release date to request publication of their release. They may otherwise
use intermediary releases or development milestones.

While we’re super hopeful that these cycle trailing projects will be
uploaded to the CentOS mirror before OpenInfrastructure Summit Shanghai
<https://www.openstack.org/summit/shanghai-2019>, we’re going to do the
official announcement just before the Summit with or without the packages.

We’ve got a lot of people to thank!

Do you like that we’re waiting a bit for our cycle trailing projects or
would you prefer the official announcement as soon as the main projects are
available? Let us know in the comments and we may adjust the process for
future releases!

In the meantime, keep an eye here or on the mailing lists
<https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo> for the official
announcement COMING SOON!

--
K Rain Leander