[rdo-dev] [Octavia] Providing service VM images in RDO

Javier Pena jpena at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 10:53:42 UTC 2018

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 7:50 PM, Javier Pena <jpena at redhat.com> wrote:
> > If we want to deliver via RPM and build on each Octavia change, we could
> > try to add it to the octavia spec and build it using DLRN. Does the script
> > require many external resources besides diskimage-builder?
> > I'm not sure if that would work on CBS though, if we need to have network
> > connectivity during the build process.
>
> I would be concerned with the storage required, also we need to
> trigger not only on Octavia distgit or upstream changes, all included
> RPMs need to be checked checked for updates.
> This could be simulated with dummy commits in distgit to force e.g.
> nightly refresh but due to storage requirements, I'd keep image builds
> outside trunk repos.

I have been doing some tests, and it looks like running diskimage-builder from a chroot is not the best idea (it tries to mount some tmpfs and fails), so even if we solved the storage issue it wouldn't work.

I think our best chance is to create a periodic job to rebuild the images (daily) then upload them to images.rdoproject.org. This would be a similar approach to what we are currently doing with containers.

The only drawback of this alternative is that we would be distributing the qcow2 images instead of an RPM package, but we could still apply retention policies, and add some CI jobs to test them if needed.

Cheers,
Javier