[rdo-dev] [rdo-users] Python3 proposal: stabilized Fedora repositories for OpenStack

Haïkel Guémar hguemar at redhat.com
Wed Feb 14 12:06:36 UTC 2018

On 02/14/2018 09:42 AM, Tristan Cacqueray wrote:
> Hello Haïkel,
>
> thanks for putting this summary. Please find some comments inlined bellow.
>
> On February 7, 2018 4:21 pm, Haïkel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following our discussions during today's RDO meeting about a draft to
>> start working on
>> python3 support in RDO, I expand the discussion to the wider group.
>> Please keep the discussion on the dev list, users list is only there
>> to raise awareness.
>>

>> Since it's a huge topic, I started an etherpad to collect our
>> thoughts. It is on upstream etherpad
>> in order to collaborate with upstream as we hope this would be useful
>> for upstream gating.
>> Please read the etherpad for details and provide your feedback.
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stabilized-fedora-repositories-for-openstack
>>

>> The main idea is to use stabilized Fedora repositories, it is a lot of
>> work and we intend to start
>> working that during the Rocky cycle.
> Please forgive my ignorance, but what are "stabilized Fedora
> repositories" ?

Since Fedora has proven to be an unstable platform for OpenStack, we
plan to provide "stabilized" repositories.
The concept is quite simple: we provide a snapshot of Fedora
repositories and then gate updates through CI.
Any updates that fails CI will be blacklisted or overridden, we will
also provides packages overrides for the ones we can't update in Fedora.

Hence stabilized :)

>> This will allow us to work on
>> migrating our packaging on python3
>> and support modularity which will ship with EL8 (currently a Fedora
>> only feature).
> IIRC modularity correctly, are we going to create distgit branch for
> openstack requirements version from the upper-constraints file?
> Then each openstack package would be a module built using those branches?
> Perhaps we would be able to use those branched fedora spec in rdo
> repository
> using automatic conversion?

In short, there's no 1:1 mapping between modules and packages.
As of today, there will be a python36 module (and later python37 one etc
...). On top of that, we will have base OpenStack Rocky, OpenStack S
etc.. modules containing dependencies (and likely oslo libs). Our
packages will require a specific module.

That's more or less the plan, we might have finer-grained modules (e.g
for gnocchi or swift) but this would be considered at a later stage
after we finish the transition to Python3 and modules. First, baby steps.

I hope this answers your questions, otherwise feel free to nag me again :)

Regards,
H.