[rdo-dev] [rdo-users] Python3 proposal: stabilized Fedora repositories for OpenStack

Tristan Cacqueray tdecacqu at redhat.com
Wed Feb 14 08:42:46 UTC 2018

Hello Haïkel,

thanks for putting this summary. Please find some comments inlined bellow.

On February 7, 2018 4:21 pm, Haïkel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following our discussions during today's RDO meeting about a draft to
> start working on
> python3 support in RDO, I expand the discussion to the wider group.
> Please keep the discussion on the dev list, users list is only there
> to raise awareness.
>

> Since it's a huge topic, I started an etherpad to collect our
> thoughts. It is on upstream etherpad
> in order to collaborate with upstream as we hope this would be useful
> for upstream gating.
> Please read the etherpad for details and provide your feedback.
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stabilized-fedora-repositories-for-openstack
>
> The main idea is to use stabilized Fedora repositories, it is a lot of
> work and we intend to start
> working that during the Rocky cycle.
Please forgive my ignorance, but what are "stabilized Fedora
repositories" ?

> This will allow us to work on
> migrating our packaging on python3
> and support modularity which will ship with EL8 (currently a Fedora
> only feature).
IIRC modularity correctly, are we going to create distgit branch for
openstack requirements version from the upper-constraints file?
Then each openstack package would be a module built using those branches?
Perhaps we would be able to use those branched fedora spec in rdo repository
using automatic conversion?