[rdo-list] static delorean-deps repos

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 28 18:12:39 UTC 2017

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Haïkel <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> > Having static delorean-deps repo for a RDO Trunk hash may be
>> > problematic also because centos, virtualization and ceph repos are
>> > changing repos and we may need to introduce new
>> > dependencies for the same hash.
>> >

>> Actually, it can be done for third-party repo (See below). We just
>> need a step to retrieve,
>> save yum metadata. Possibly, we may have to mangle base url but it's easy
>> to do
>> (yum metadata are just sqlite and xml databases).
>>
>> > What i'd propose is to have versioned dependencies repos so that jobs
>> > can easily report the version of deps used and replay the job with a
>> > specific dependencies snapshot if needed.
>> >

>> Just to clarify to the readers, we don't need to version the whole
>> repositories only the yum
>> metadata. By convention, published packages are not removed from
>> public repos, and
>> yum/dnf won't see newer packages that are not in metadata.
>>
>> So it's quite a storage-efficient way to handle the issue mentioned by
>> Wes.
>

> Haikel,
>
> Would we be able to version the CentOS base repos as well via metadata?

I am just pointing that this is possible without affecting RDO jobs
(aka phase 1)
nor CentOS repo.

> To Alfredo's point, if somethign changes in CentOS that requires a change to
> the delorean deps then we may have an issue.

No changes is required, we would just save the metadata somewhere and make it
consumable for you.
E.g : At the beginning of a promotion job, we would save the metadata
of all the repositories
used, and we could publish it somewhere with the right *.repo file.
That does not mean or implies the promotion job would be using it.

It can be used for other use-cases than yours but I'd like to keep
that as a separate
discussion to avoid confusion.

In short, we're just adding a new *artefact* to the CI jobs, nothing
more, nothing less.