[rdo-list] static delorean-deps repos

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Thu Sep 28 17:44:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Haïkel <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> Had a brief discussion on the release delivery meeting this morning
> with Jon
> >> Schlueter where as the rel-del had a requirement for the CI to
> constantly
> >> execute to retest any potential changes to the delorean-deps yum repo.
> >> This is required because it informs the import process.
> >>
> >> Ideally we don't have to constantly tax both our hardware and people
> >> resources because we have have an unpinned repo that can change at any
> >> moment.
> >>
> >> A static delorean-deps repo married to a delorean repo would be more
> >> efficient for everyone.  How that is achieved is under discussion.
> >>

> > Having static delorean-deps repo for a RDO Trunk hash may be
> > problematic also because centos, virtualization and ceph repos are
> > changing repos and we may need to introduce new
> > dependencies for the same hash.
> >

> Actually, it can be done for third-party repo (See below). We just
> need a step to retrieve,
> save yum metadata. Possibly, we may have to mangle base url but it's easy
> to do
> (yum metadata are just sqlite and xml databases).
>
> > What i'd propose is to have versioned dependencies repos so that jobs
> > can easily report the version of deps used and replay the job with a
> > specific dependencies snapshot if needed.
> >

> Just to clarify to the readers, we don't need to version the whole
> repositories only the yum
> metadata. By convention, published packages are not removed from
> public repos, and
> yum/dnf won't see newer packages that are not in metadata.
>
> So it's quite a storage-efficient way to handle the issue mentioned by Wes.

Haikel,

Would we be able to version the CentOS base repos as well via metadata?
To Alfredo's point, if somethign changes in CentOS that requires a change to
the delorean deps then we may have an issue.

I'm not sure how often a change in CentOS requires a change to
delorean-deps.
I suspect if that happens often we will hit a lot failures.

Thanks for the comments and feedback thus far!