[rdo-list] OVS 2.7 on rdo

Numan Siddique nusiddiq at redhat.com
Tue Jun 13 11:09:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Alan Pevec <apevec at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Numan,
>
> thanks for testing! Few questions inline:

> use of these rpms and it works fine for me.
> previous OVS updates.
> > I did some testing locally and these are my findings
> >  - After deploying a overcloud (with 3 controllers and 1 compute ) using
> > tripleo-quickstart, I added the OVS 2.7 repo from here [1] manually on
> all
>
> Was [1] http://cbs.centos.org/repos/cloud7-openstack-pike-
> candidate/x86_64/os/ ?

No. It was
http://cbs.centos.org/repos/cloud7-openstack-common-candidate/x86_64/os/

> Can you confirm which openvswitch NVR you got?

I am not sure which one. I will get back to you on this.

> > the nodes and triggered "openstack overcloud update stack".
> > - For some reason update was always failing. Not sure what is going wrong
> > - So I manually ran "yum update" on the nodes
> >  - OVS 2.7 was updated successfully, but the service was  not restarted.
>
> Numan, please report update stack failure as tripleo upstream LP bug.
> Adding Sofer from the upgrades team: is there upstream tripleo
> update/upgrade CI job which is testing with OVS 2.7 ?

I want to test once more before I submit a bug to be really sure if I
haven't done any mistake.

I don't think there is any CI job yet. I tried to be bold and submitted a
patch to test it here (please note it's only for testing) -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/473191/

In the puppet/services/openvswitch_upgrade.yaml, I tried to install the OVS
2.7 and restart it.
>From the logs I could see that ovs was never updated (not sure why) and the
ansible task to restart the openvswitch (still with version 2.6) makes the
node loose the network completely. I will explore more on this job and see
how it goes.

But from what I understand upgrading OVS (presently) has a down time
overhead. i.e We can update the ovs package. But restarting OVS with the
updated version would cause some down time or reboot. I may be wrong here.
But that's what I understand. If this is the case, not sure if we can test
this scenario in CI other than just updating the package without restart.

> >  - After the update everything was working fine.
>
> Working fine without ovs service restart?

That's right.

> >  - Then I restarted all the nodes to have OVS 2.7 started up.
> >  - After restart I was able to have my tenant networks working fine.
>
> So that sounds promising but I'd like to get details on update stack
> failure before we proceed promotion OVS 2.7 packages to the RDO Pike
> repo.
> Also note that 2.7.0-1 RPM from v2.7.0 tag is missing > 100 backports
> on branch-2.7, upstream should really consider releasing 2.7.1.

I have requested for a new tag in the OVS mailing list. Hope it would be
done soon.

Thanks
Numan