[rdo-list] [TripleO] Newton large baremetal deployment issues

Charles Short cems at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 16:48:20 UTC 2016

Update -

I updated Undercloud to latest stable Newton release, and used the
provided CentOS Overcloud images. I first completed a small test
deployment no problem (3 controller 3 compute) .
I then deployed again with a larger environment (40 compute, 3 controllers).
When the nodes were up and ACTIVE/pingable early in deployment I checked
the hosts files. This time no formatting errors.

However during deployment there were lots of long pauses and I noticed
plenty of these sorts of messages in the nova logs during the pauses -

/var/log/nova/nova-compute.log:2016-11-11 19:56:07.322 7840 ERROR
nova.compute.manager [instance:
f6fd4127-fc94-4a36-9b3b-5e4f21bd08ed]     raise
exceptions.ConnectTimeout(msg)
/var/log/nova/nova-compute.log:2016-11-11 19:56:07.322 7840 ERROR
nova.compute.manager [instance: f6fd4127-fc94-4a36-9b3b-5e4f21bd08ed]
ConnectTimeout: Request to
http://192.168.0.1:9696/v2.0/ports.json?tenant_id=30401f505075414fbd700f028412977f&device_id=f6fd4127-fc94-4a36-9b3b-5e4f21bd08ed
timed out

While this was happening I could not use nova from the Undercloud at all-

source stackrc
nova list
ERROR (ClientException): The server has either erred or is incapable of
performing the requested operation. (HTTP 500) (Request-ID:
req-367c9ac2-6f27-4e71-a451-681c8c3d2ce5)

After 2 hours of deployment and only on Step 1 of 5 the deployment fails
with -

ERROR: Timed out waiting for a reply to message ID
971157a211e549998bb7a6f6e494688b

note - I have a timeout value way over 2 hours in the deployment
commands (2000)

Post failed deployment I still cannot use nova. Looks like the
Undercloud is very unhappy (same error as above)

The only way I can get the Undercloud working again is to restart all
services (restarting nova alone does not work)
sudo systemctl restart neutron*
sudo systemctl restart openstack*

I think I may try OSP9 as I am running out of ideas. Either that or
giving Openstack-Ansible a try.....

Charles

On 10/11/2016 08:20, Charles Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Deploy command here
>
> http://pastebin.com/xNZXTWPE
>
> no output from rpm command.
>
> Yes re OSP9 images I was just interested how they behaved early on in
> the deployment before any puppet errors (cloud init etc).
> Not a good test, just morbid fascination out of desperation.
>
> No Windows involved, and I have not altered the main puppet template
> directory at all.
>
> I am going to try and update the Undercloud to the latest stable, use
> the provided images and see how that goes.
>
> If all else fails I will install OSP9 and consider myself exhausted
> from all the swimming upstream ;)
>
> Charles
>
> On 10/11/2016 03:13, Graeme Gillies wrote:
>> On 10/11/16 02:18, Charles Short wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just some feedback on this thread.
>>>
>>> I have redeployed several times and have begun to suspect DNS as being
>>> the cause for delays (just a guess as the deployment always competes
>>> with no obvious errors)
>>> I had a look at the local hosts files on the nodes during deployment
>>> and
>>> can see that lots of them (not all) are incorrectly formatted as they
>>> contain '\n'.
>>>
>>> For example a small part of one hosts file -
>>> <<
>>> \n10.0.7.30 overcloud-novacompute-32.localdomain
>>> overcloud-novacompute-32
>>> 192.168.0.39 overcloud-novacompute-32.external.localdomain
>>> overcloud-novacompute-32.external
>>> 10.0.7.30 overcloud-novacompute-32.internalapi.localdomain
>>> overcloud-novacompute-32.internalapi
>>> 10.35.5.67 overcloud-novacompute-32.storage.localdomain
>>> overcloud-novacompute-32.storage
>>> 192.168.0.39 overcloud-novacompute-32.storagemgmt.localdomain
>>> overcloud-novacompute-32.storagemgmt
>>> 10.0.8.39 overcloud-novacompute-32.tenant.localdomain
>>> overcloud-novacompute-32.tenant
>>> 192.168.0.39 overcloud-novacompute-32.management.localdomain
>>> overcloud-novacompute-32.management
>>> 192.168.0.39 overcloud-novacompute-32.ctlplane.localdomain