[rdo-list] Unable to log in to the VM instance’s console using openstack-mitaka release

Chinmaya Dwibedy ckdwibedy at gmail.com
Fri May 27 06:24:53 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I have installed OpenStack (i.e., openstack-mitaka release) on CentOS7.2 .
Used Fedora20 qcow2 cloud image for creating a VM using Dashboard.

1)      Installed “libguestfs” on Nova compute node.

2)      Updated these lines in  “/etc/nova/nova.conf ”

inject_password=true

inject_key=true

inject_partition=-1

3)      Restarted nove-compute: # service openstack-nova-compute restart

4)      Enabled setting root password in
/usr/share/openstack-dashboard/openstack_dashboard/local/local_settings.py

OPENSTACK_HYPERVISOR_FEATURES = {

…..

‘can_set_password’: True,

}

5)      Placed the below code in “Customization Script” section of the
Launch Instance dialog box in OpenStack.

#cloud-config

ssh_pwauth: True

chpasswd:

  list: |

     root: root

  expire: False

runcmd:

- [ sh, -c, echo "=========hello world'=========" ]

It appears that, when the instance was launched, cloud-init did not
change the password for root user, and I was not able to log in to the
instance’s console (Dashboard) using username (root) and password
(root). it says “Log in incorrect”.

Upon checking the boot log found that, cloud-init has executed
/var/lib/cloud/instance/scripts/runcmd and printed hello world. Can
anyone please let me know where I am wrong ? Thanks in advance for
your support and time.

Regards,

Chinmaya