[Rdo-list] TripleO Liberty issues and workarounds

Christopher Brown cbrown2 at ocf.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 19:57:20 UTC 2016

Thanks for sharing Charles.

I've had to do exactly the same thing (removing the local boot options)
with Lenovo kit.

This introduces a dependency on the undercloud to boot nodes so
hopefully this will be fixed soon!

Regards

On Mon, 2016-03-14 at 17:28 +0000, Charles Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought I would report some issues and workarounds deploying on HP
> G6
> blades following -
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-docs/basic_deployment/bas
> ic_deployment_cli.html#
>
> My Undercloud is CentOS7 and I wanted to deploy my Overcloud with the
> same distro.
>
> So I found some images here -
>
> https://ci.centos.org/artifacts/rdo/images/liberty/delorean/stable/
>
> However introspection hung every time with timeout errors.
>
> My hunch was that the images were the issue so I tried to build my
> own.
> Using the guide above I created some images (after overcoming proxy
> issues documented previously).
> I still had introspection timeouts.
> So I thought maybe instead of using the generic CentOS cloud image
> the
> build utility provides by default I would try and specify one -
>
> export DIB_CLOUD_IMAGES="http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/"
> export BASE_IMAGE_FILE="CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud-1511.qcow2"
>
> This image was the same version as my Undercloud.
>
> This worked and introspection ran fine with no timeouts with the new
> images :)
>
> I then  tried to deploy a stack (Overcloud).... and the nodes ended
> up
> in grub rescue mode :(
> The initial PXE kernel deployment worked fine, but they rebooted into
> grub rescue mode.
>
> I suspected the flavor was to blame and looked at the baremetal
> properties and saw the boot options were set to 'local'. For this to
> work grub2 needs
> to be configured in the image -
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/install-guide.html#
> local-boot-with-partition-images
>
> So I tried recreating the baremetal flavor without the 'local' boot
> option capability (unsure whether grub2 was configured or not in the
> image)
>
> I redeployed and the Overcloud stack deployed successfully :)
>
> Charles
>
> --
> Charles Short
> Cloud Engineer
> Virtualization and Cloud Team
> European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
> Tel: +44 (0)1223 494205

Regards,

Christopher Brown
OpenStack Engineer
OCF plc

Tel: +44 (0)114 257 2200
Web: www.ocf.co.uk
Blog: blog.ocf.co.uk
Twitter: @ocfplc

Please note, any emails relating to an OCF Support request must always
be sent to support at ocf.co.uk for a ticket number to be generated or
existing support ticket to be updated. Should this not be done then OCF

cannot be held responsible for requests not dealt with in a timely
manner.

OCF plc is a company registered in England and Wales. Registered number

4132533, VAT number GB 780 6803 14. Registered office address: OCF plc,

5 Rotunda Business Centre, Thorncliffe Park, Chapeltown, Sheffield S35
2PG.

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately and remove it from your
system.