[Rdo-list] The RDO Quickstart Guide and Private Network

John Alway jalway at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:27:50 UTC 2016

Hello!

I know I'm back late on this, but I want to thank you, Boris, for you last
response.  It inspired me to do some study of Openstack and networking.
So, I've learning more about it.

This workshop helped me a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6QU4lNnaS8

I was able to do everything in that workshop up until I tried pinging a
website on the external network, e.g. "google.com".

I was able to run a VM, create a private network and ping between VMs.
However, when I tried to ping "google.com" or "openstack.org" on my
external (public) network , it didn't work.     For some reason, the port
to the external network is "down," while the external network itself is
"active."   I created a virtual router that connects my private network to
my public (external) network.

  I set up my Centos7 external network similar to the way it's described
here:

https://www.rdoproject.org/networking/neutron-with-existing-external-network/

    I created the following security group rules via the command line:
  # nova secgroup-add-rule default icmp -1 -1 0.0.0.0/0
  # nova secgroup-add-rule default tcp 22 22 0.0.0.0/0

   So, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here.

   I hope that was clearly described!

   Do you or anyone else have any ideas on this?

   Thanks!
   ...John