[Rdo-list] Deploying an HA dev environment with tripleo-quickstart

Boris Derzhavets bderzhavets at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:17:25 UTC 2016

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, March 7, 2016 3:10 PM
To: Boris Derzhavets
Cc: RDO; Perry Myers; John Trowbridge
Subject: Re: [Rdo-list] Deploying an HA dev environment with tripleo-quickstart

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 06:02:49PM +0000, Boris Derzhavets wrote:
> should be mentioned as well for HA testing. Just usual gamer's PC with 32/64 GB RAM would work fine.

I don't think it's necessary to call out specific hardware.  We're not
really targeting performance here -- if that's your goal, then the
virt-only quickstart environment is probably not appropriate for you
in any case.

[BD] I just mentioned cheapest 8 Core CPU responsible to bring up HA Set of VMs.
           of course,  Haswell based 8 Core Xeon will do it better.
          Memory is not the only issue for HA test,  Top lined i7 4790 is not enough
          to run 5-6  VMs  at a time even with 32 GB RAM.
          That was a point of my message.
          I am not guessing. i7 4790 dies attempting to perform config from
          https://github.com/beekhof/osp-ha-deploy/blob/master/HA-keepalived.md
          Just 3 Controllers running at a time. BIOS was tuned by myself.
          I only want  virt-only quickstart environment  to be fairly impressing on the box
          having  reasonable cost as desktop.

The real goal is just to get things up and running so that you can test
software code changes or see what the full ha stack looks like
*without* needing dedicated infrastructure.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | http://blog.oddbit.com/