[Rdo-list] RDO blog roundup, 16 Feb 2016

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Feb 16 16:17:32 UTC 2016

Here's what's hit the RDO blogs in the last few weeks.

RDO Liberty DVR Neutron workflow on CentOS 7.2 by Boris Derzhavets

Per
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/juno/neutron-ovs-dvr.html
DVR is supposed to address following problems which has traditional 3
Node deployment schema

… read more at http://tm3.org/4r

RDO Community Day at FOSDEM by Rich Bowen

On Friday, in Brussels, 45 RDO enthusiasts gathered at the IBM Client
Center in Brussels (Thanks, IBM!) for a full day of RDO content and
discussion.

… read more at http://tm3.org/4s

Python API for "boot from image creates new volume" RDO Liberty by Boris
Derzhavets

Post below addresses several questions been posted at ask.openstack.org
In particular, code bellow doesn't require volume UUID to be hard coded
to start server attached to boot able cinder's LVM, created via glance
image, which is supposed to be passed to script via command line. In the
same way name of cinder volume and instance name may be passed to script
via CLI.

… read more at http://tm3.org/4t

Why does Red Hat contribute to RDO? by Nick Barcet

Red Hat's philosophy is 'Upstream First'. When we participate in an open
source project, our contributions go into the upstream project first, as
a prerequisite to deliver it in the downstream offering. Our continued
focus, over the past years and in the future, is to reduce to a bare
minimum the differences between Upstream, RDO and RHEL OpenStack
Platform at General Availabilty time, as we believe this is the only way
we can maximise our velocity in delivering new features. In doing so,
we, as any successful enterprise would do, need to focus our efforts on
what matters in respect to our "downstream" strategy, and it means that
we do prioritize our efforts accordingly as we are contributing
particular features and fixes.

… read more at http://tm3.org/4u

Keystone Implied roles with CURL by Adam Young

Keystone now has Implied Roles. What does this mean? Lets say we define
the role Admin to imply the Member role. Now, if you assigned someone
Admin on a project they are automatically assigned the Member role on
that project implicitly.

… read more at http://tm3.org/4v

Systemd-nspawn for fun and…well, mostly for fun by Lars Kellogg-Stedman

systemd-nspawn has been called "chroot on steroids", but if you think of
it as Docker with a slightly different target you wouldn't be far wrong,
either. It can be used to spawn containers on your host, and has a
variety of options for configuring the containerized environment through
the use of private networking, bind mounts, capability controls, and a
variety of other facilities that give you flexible container management.

… read more at http://tm3.org/4w

A systemd-nspawn connection driver for Ansible by Lars Kellogg-Stedman

I wrote earlier about systemd-nspawn, and how it can take much of the
fiddly work out of setting up functional chroot environments. I'm a
regular Ansible user, and I wanted to be able to apply some of those
techniques to my playbooks.

… read more at http://tm3.org/4x

A Holla out to the Kolla devs by Adam Young

Devstack uses Pip to install packages, which conflict with the RPM
versions on my Fedora system. Since I still need to get work done, and
want to run tests on Keystone running against a live database, I’ve long
wondered if I should go with container based approach. Last week, I took
the plunge and started messing around with Docker. I got the MySQL
Fedora container to run, then found Lars Keystone container using
Sqlite, and was stumped. I poked around for a way to get the two
containers talking to each other, and realized that we had a project
dedicated to exactly that in OpenStack: Kolla. While it did not work for
me right out of a git-clone, several of the Kolla devs worked with me to
get it up and running. here are my notes, distilled.

… read more at http://tm3.org/4y

Boosting the NFV datapath with RHEL OpenStack Platform by Nir Yechiel

With software-defined networking (SDN) and network functions
virtualization (NFV) gaining traction, more cloud service providers are
looking for open solutions, based on standardized hardware platforms and
open source software. In particular, communication service providers
(CSPs) are undergoing a major shift from specialized hardware-based
network elements to a software based provisioning paradigm where
virtualized network functions (VNFs) are deployed in private or hybrid
clouds of network operators. Increasingly, OpenStack is seen as the
virtual infrastructure platform of choice for NFV, with many of the
world’s largest communications companies implementing solutions with
OpenStack today.

… read more at http://tm3.org/4z

OpenStack Keystone Q and A with the Boston University Distributed

Systems Class Part 1 by Adam Young
Dr. Jonathan Appavoo was kind enough to invite me to be a guest lecturer
in his distributed systems class at Boston University. The students
proved a list of questions, and I only got a chance to address a handful
of them during the class. So, I’ll try to address the rest here.

… read more at http://tm3.org/4-

Setup Swift as Glance backend on RDO Liberty (CentOS 7.2) by Boris
Derzhavets

Post below presumes that your testing Swift storage is located somewhere
on workstation (say /dev/sdb1) is about 25 GB (XFS) and before running
packstack (AIO mode for testing) following steps have been done :-

… read more at http://tm3.org/50

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org/