[rdo-list] tripleo puppet integration

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 15:28:15 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Dotan, Alon <alon.dotan at hpe.com> wrote:
> Few questions about puppet integration in tripleo:
>
> ·         Does the deployed nodes sync the puppet modules from the
> undercloud?
>
> For example:
>
> I modified opendailight module under /usr/share/opensatck-puppet, this
> module will be the one that runs under the deployed controller? Or the one
> that packed with the overcloud.qcow2?
>

> ·         How can I troubleshoot puppet modules I have module that don’t
> installed the required package from yum, I treid to exec puppet apply
> --debug --verbose  init.pp and no luck also tried to modify this package and
> nothing happened?

I've found http://hardysteven.blogspot.com/2016/08/tripleo-deploy-artifacts-and-puppet.html
to be very useful when trying to work with testing puppet module
things.  Additionally if you look in the logs for os-collect-config on
the deployed server, you can see the heat command that is used to run
puppet.  You should see something like..

 Running /usr/libexec/heat-config/hooks/script <
/var/lib/heat-config/deployed/<some uuid file>.json

If you run that it includes the required facts and configuration to
ensure you have the hiera loaded when applying the puppet.

Thanks,
-Alex