[Rdo-list] RDO-Manager "quickstart"

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 19:55:04 UTC 2015

On 09/18/2015 03:49 PM, Perry Myers wrote:
> On 09/18/2015 03:35 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> One of the goals of the RDO Packstack Quickstart is to give people a
>> successful and easy first-time experience deploying OpenStack, even if
>> what they're left with (an --allinone deployment) might not be, strictly
>> speaking, *useful* for much.
>>
>> Today on IRC I asked if we might possibly work towards a similar
>> quickstart for RDO-Manager, where we make a bunch of assumptions and
>> automate whatever parts of it we can, and end up with a "do these three
>> steps" kind of thing, like the Packstack quickstart.
>>
>> I've included the transcript of the conversation below, but since IRC
>> transcripts can be confusing after the fact, to summarize, slagle opined
>> that it might be feasible to have two paths - the full-featured path
>> that we currently have, but also something as I described above for your
>> first time.
>>
>> I wanted to toss this out here for a larger audience to see whether this
>> seems like a reasonable goal to pursue?
>
> +1
>
> I think it's critical to have something that's easy to work for _very_
> constrained use cases. But I also agree with the below sentiments that
> we need to properly document and enable folks to do more complex
> deployments after they've had their first success with the minimal
> deployment option
>
> One thing to consider in all of this is... what is the minimum
> deployment footprint? I think we have to assume virtual, since most
> folks won't have a lab with 6 nodes sitting around.
>
> A few options:
>
> a Undercloud on one VM, single overcloud controller on another VM,
>    single compute node on another VM (using nested virt, or just plain
>    emulation)
>
> b 2nd variation on the above would be to run the 3 node controller HA
>    setup, which means 1 undercloud, 3 overcloud controllers + 1 compute
>
> The question is... what is the minimum amount of RAM that you can run an
> overcloud controller with?  4GB?  Or can that be squeezed to 2 or 3GB
> just for playing around purposes?
>
> What is the minimum amount of RAM you need for the undercloud node?
>
> If 4GB per VM, then a) maybe can be done on a 16GB system, while b)
> needs 32GB

I think if we allow for "not very useful" as a stated caveat of the
all-in-one, then we could probably get away with

3GB and swap for both overcloud VMs and 4GB for the undercloud.

It's possible to go lower for the undercloud if you have a lot of swap
and are patient. It may lead to timeouts/broken-ness, so I wouldn't
recommend it.

> If we could squeeze controller and undercloud nodes into 3GB each, then
> it might be possible to run b) on a 16GB machine, opening up
> experimentation with RDO Manager in a real HA configuration to lots more
> people
>
> Perry

Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.