[Rdo-list] RDO-Manager "quickstart"

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 19:49:39 UTC 2015

On 09/18/2015 03:35 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> One of the goals of the RDO Packstack Quickstart is to give people a
> successful and easy first-time experience deploying OpenStack, even if
> what they're left with (an --allinone deployment) might not be, strictly
> speaking, *useful* for much.
>
> Today on IRC I asked if we might possibly work towards a similar
> quickstart for RDO-Manager, where we make a bunch of assumptions and
> automate whatever parts of it we can, and end up with a "do these three
> steps" kind of thing, like the Packstack quickstart.
>
> I've included the transcript of the conversation below, but since IRC
> transcripts can be confusing after the fact, to summarize, slagle opined
> that it might be feasible to have two paths - the full-featured path
> that we currently have, but also something as I described above for your
> first time.
>
> I wanted to toss this out here for a larger audience to see whether this
> seems like a reasonable goal to pursue?

+1

I think it's critical to have something that's easy to work for _very_
constrained use cases. But I also agree with the below sentiments that
we need to properly document and enable folks to do more complex
deployments after they've had their first success with the minimal
deployment option

One thing to consider in all of this is... what is the minimum
deployment footprint? I think we have to assume virtual, since most
folks won't have a lab with 6 nodes sitting around.

A few options:

a Undercloud on one VM, single overcloud controller on another VM,
  single compute node on another VM (using nested virt, or just plain
  emulation)

b 2nd variation on the above would be to run the 3 node controller HA
  setup, which means 1 undercloud, 3 overcloud controllers + 1 compute

The question is... what is the minimum amount of RAM that you can run an
overcloud controller with?  4GB?  Or can that be squeezed to 2 or 3GB
just for playing around purposes?

What is the minimum amount of RAM you need for the undercloud node?

If 4GB per VM, then a) maybe can be done on a 16GB system, while b)
needs 32GB

If we could squeeze controller and undercloud nodes into 3GB each, then
it might be possible to run b) on a 16GB machine, opening up
experimentation with RDO Manager in a real HA configuration to lots more
people

Perry