[Rdo-list] RDO Liberty and Fedora

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:34:25 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Fedora/RDO relationship topic came up few months ago on the rdo-list and
in the meantime details have been refined in a Trello card
https://trello.com/c/wzdl1IlZ/52-openstack-in-fedora which I'll try to
summarize in this post.

High level overview (aka tl;dr) is that RDO Liberty repository will be
providing EL7 packages, hosted on CentOS mirrors and built as a part
of CentOS CloudSIG.
For developers using Fedora latest trunk builds of openstack-* packages
will be available from Delorean Trunk.
OpenStack service packages (openstack-*) will be retired in Fedora
master while Oslo and OpenStack clients stay in Fedora proper to allow
using Fedora as a client of OpenStack based cloud providers.

Reasoning is that Fedora user population are developers who always
need latest and greatest version and Delorean Trunk packages are the
best match. We were trying to follow 1:1 mapping between Fedora and
OpenStack release but it is getting out of sync now (current f22 is
Juno, unreleased f23 is Kilo) and it's getting impossible to keep up
with required dependency versions in the current stable Fedora without
breaking older OpenStack release.
There is also wasted overhead of pushing OpenStack stable updates in
Fedora when stable builds are not interesting for the target
population.
For production setup EL7 platform is preferred and that's where we are
going to provide stable updates in released RDO versions.

Cheers,
Alan