[Rdo-list] [Rdo-newsletter] RDO Community newsletter, October 2015

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 19:41:01 UTC 2015

October 2015 RDO Community Newsletter

(This newsletter is also available online at
https://rdoproject.org/Newsletter/2015_October )

Quick links:

* Quick Start - http://rdoproject.org/quickstart
* RDO packages - http://rdoproject.org/repos/ with the trunk packages
   in http://rdoproject.org/repos/openstack/openstack-trunk/
* RDO blog - http://rdoproject.org/blog
* Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/
* Open Tickets - http://tm3.org/rdobugs
* Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity

This month's newsletter is very late, because I've been traveling and
the time got away from me. If you'd like to help get next month's
newsletter out on time, or contribute to it in some other way, please
let me know, at rbowen at redhat.com

Mailing List Update
Here's a few highlights from the month.

* RDO Test Days

In late September we had our first Liberty RDO test day -
http://beta.rdoproject.org/testday/rdo-test-day-liberty-01/
- and had pretty good participation, with some test results documented
at http://beta.rdoproject.org/testday/testedsetups-liberty-01/

We have a followup test day running as I write this, since we are now
closer to the Liberty release. Liberty is scheduled to release on
October the 15th, so what we have right now shold be mostly final.

* RDO-Manager Quickstart

A discussion started around the creation of an RDO-Manager Quickstart
document, much like the RDO Quickstart, to give a quick and successful
first run-through with RDO-Manager, producing a minimally useful cloud
instance. That discussion is at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-September/msg00180.html
and following.

* RDO-Manager

There was some further discussion of RDO-Manager at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-September/msg00161.html
that's worth catching up on.

* RDO Liberty and Fedora

You may remember the topic of how RDO Liberty will be handled on
Fedora from last month. There was additional discussion at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-September/msg00113.html
for maintainers of these packages. An additional thread at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-September/msg00090.html
was geared towards everyone else.

* RDO-Manager and Ceph

At https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-September/msg00031.html
there's some discussion of deploying Ceph-based storage using
RDO-Manager.

This is just a taste of the month's highlights. You can catch up on
the entire month at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-September/thread.html

beta.rdoproject.org
===================

The reboot of the RDO website is almost ready to go live. You can
preview it at http://beta.rdoproject.org/ and you can participate in
the process at https://github.com/redhat-openstack/website

The new site is based on Middleman - https://middlemanapp.com/ - and
enables contributions via Git pull requests, both for the main website
content, and for the blog. There's also a handy developer tool that
lets you run a local copy of the site to verify your changes before
you send them along. Just get a `git clone` of the repo, and
run ./run-server.sh in the root of your working copy.

See also the list of open tickets at
https://github.com/redhat-openstack/website/issues if you're looking
for a place to help out.

RDO Blogs
=========

Continuing the series of PTL interviews, I spoke with Haikel Guemar
about the new RPM packaging project. You can read, or listen to, that
interview at
https://www.rdoproject.org/forum/discussion/1040/haikel-guemar-talks-about-rpm-packaging

And I'm in the process of editing an interview with Mike Perez, the
Cinder PTL, and should that up later this week.

As always, every week I post a summary of the blog posts by RDO
enthusiasts in the preceding week. These tend to increase in volume
as we approach the next release.

And, as of just a few weeks ago, we now have
http://blogs.rdoproject.org/ where RDO engineers can post about all
things OpenStack. If you'd like to have your OpenStack blog presence
there, let me know. (rbowen at redhat.com)

Events
======

* Docs hack day

With the new website almost ready to go, we need your help taking that
final step. We're planning a documentation/website hack day on
Thursday, October 15th. We'll be coordinating on #rdo on Freenode, and
also around the issue tracker at
https://github.com/redhat-openstack/website/issues  So get a fork of
the website (See beta.rdoproject.org item above), and get ready.

* OpenStack Summit

The OpenStack Summit in Tokyo is right around the corner, and we hope
to see you there. We have an RDO community meetup planned for lunch
time on Wednesday.

We'll be at the Red Hat booth at the Summit, where you can meet RDO
engineers, and see demos of RDO, OpenShift, ManageIQ, and other
OpenStack-related offerings. Also, be sure to get the new RDO tshirt,
which finally defines what RDO really stands for.

To prepare for summit, you might want to read this excellent article
by Nick Chase about what's new in Liberty:
https://www.mirantis.com/blog/53-things-new-openstack-liberty/

* FOSDEM

Details are still being worked out, but we plan to have an RDO
community event, in conjunction with the CentOS Dojo, on the days
immediately before FOSDEM, early next year. FOSDEM is scheduled for
January 30 and 31st, in Brussels, Belgium. We expect the CentOS event
to be on Friday, January 29th.

* Meetups

It seems that every month there's more and more OpenStack meetups
around the world. I try to keep the calendar of upcoming meetups
updated at http://rdoproject.org/events/ so that you can see what's
happening in your area.

* LinuxCon Dublin

Last week, we were in Dublin for LinuxCon Europe, where there was
great OpenStack content by several RDO engineers, including Mark
McLoughlin and Kashyap Chamarthy. We really appreciate everyone who
made it to those talks, as well as everyone that stopped by the booth
to talk about OpenStack.

Keep in touch
=============

There's lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the
RDO community. The best ways are ...

WWW
   * RDO - http://rdoproject.org/
   * OpenStack Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/

Mailing Lists:
   * rdo-list mailing list -
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list
   * This newsletter -
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-newsletter

IRC
   * IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net
   * Puppet module development - #rdo-puppet

Social Media:
   * Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
   * Google+ - http://tm3.org/rdogplus
   * Facebook - http://facebook.com/rdocommunity

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org/