[Rdo-list] Check progress of overcloud deployment

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 17:21:51 UTC 2015

On 10/08/2015 10:16 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 11:29:51AM -0400, Ignacio Bravo wrote:
>>    Hi,
>>    What is the best way to track the progress of the overcloud installation
>>    via RDO Manager?
>>    I was looking at the heat logs on /var/log/heat but they were too verbose.
>>    Ideas?
>
> I prefer to open a new shell and do:
>
> heat resource-list -n5 overcloud | grep IN_PROGRESS.
>
> Basically the same as the suggestion already made by Sasha.
>
> You can then see each stage of the deployment happen, including nested
> resources.
>
> Alternatively for less detail, just do:
>
> heat resource-list overcloud | grep IN_PROGRESS
>
> Or, for more detail, you can look at the events:
>
> heat event-list -n5 overcloud  (note, this is fairly inefficient at
> present so takes a while to run).
>
> It'd be good if we built something into the CLI which could automatically
> show progress like this, I believe this is something that's already been
> discussed and may even be in progress.
>
> Steve

A brief twist on Steven's command-line:

I like to see all states that aren't complete. This shows the resources
that go into failed state (if any) immediately, as well as the
CREATE_INIT stage that proceeds IN_PROGRESS:

heat resource-list -n5 overcloud | grep -v COMPLETE

Since this shows more states, there is a little bit more volatility to
the status display. It's a matter of personal preference how much
real-time info you want displayed.

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack