[Rdo-list] delorean.repo vs delorean-deps.repo

Javier Pena javier.pena at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 09:09:10 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> So, following a lengthy discussion on IRC and on gerrit [1], we
> realized it wasn't as easy as it seemed at first glance.
> It did raise some interesting questions, though.
>
> There are really three repositories for liberty right now:
> - delorean (from delorean.repo)
> - delorean-liberty-testing (from delorean-deps.repo)
> - delorean-common-testing (from delorean-deps.repo)
>
> For the packages in [delorean] to work properly, it needs the
> dependencies found in [delorean-liberty-testing] and
> [delorean-common-testing].
> The naive idea I submitted was "Why not just bundled the two -testing
> repos inside delorean.repo ?" .
>
> Yes, this could work momentarily - but let's pretend that we have CI
> pass over a set of packages and then promote a delorean repository to
> "current-passed-ci".
> Some time passes by and the packages in either
> delorean-liberty-testing or delorean-common-testing change and
> actually breaks the build that we tagged as passing CI.
>
> Since all the packages are not in every given repository and each
> repository can change independently of the others, we are unable to
> guarantee that a specific repository that passes today will pass
> tomorrow.
> So, what do we do ?
> - Pull in every liberty-testing and common-testing packages to every
> delorean repository ? Sounds expensive but is possibly what Ubuntu
> does [2]
> - Also promote a set of -deps repo when we promote a delorean repo ? How ?

Would we want to keep all passed-ci repos over time? It should not be too hard to make the promote script fetch all packages in delorean-liberty-testing and delorean-common-testing during promotion and rebuild the repo with them. However, it could increase storage usage (~330 MB at the moment).

Cheers,
Javier