[Rdo-list] delorean.repo vs delorean-deps.repo

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 21:59:54 UTC 2015

So, following a lengthy discussion on IRC and on gerrit [1], we
realized it wasn't as easy as it seemed at first glance.
It did raise some interesting questions, though.

There are really three repositories for liberty right now:
- delorean (from delorean.repo)
- delorean-liberty-testing (from delorean-deps.repo)
- delorean-common-testing (from delorean-deps.repo)

For the packages in [delorean] to work properly, it needs the
dependencies found in [delorean-liberty-testing] and
[delorean-common-testing].
The naive idea I submitted was "Why not just bundled the two -testing
repos inside delorean.repo ?" .

Yes, this could work momentarily - but let's pretend that we have CI
pass over a set of packages and then promote a delorean repository to
"current-passed-ci".
Some time passes by and the packages in either
delorean-liberty-testing or delorean-common-testing change and
actually breaks the build that we tagged as passing CI.

Since all the packages are not in every given repository and each
repository can change independently of the others, we are unable to
guarantee that a specific repository that passes today will pass
tomorrow.
So, what do we do ?
- Pull in every liberty-testing and common-testing packages to every
delorean repository ? Sounds expensive but is possibly what Ubuntu
does [2]
- Also promote a set of -deps repo when we promote a delorean repo ? How ?

I see three objectives in trying to improve the current situation:
- Streamline/improve system and user experience by having one
repository to add, not two
- Improve stability by making sure builds that passed will remain stable
- Ensure builds and their results are reproducible every time

Any ideas ?

[1]: https://review.gerrithub.io/249207
[2]: http://ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty-updates/liberty/main/binary-amd64/Packages

David Moreau Simard