[Rdo-list] Packaging the big tent (or at least part of it)

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed May 27 21:47:00 UTC 2015

On 05/27/2015 05:44 PM, Graeme Gillies wrote:
>> [...]
>>> If there was a possibility to improve that setup, I'm willing to give
>>> it a shot but we'd have at best to manage 2 instances
>>> of pkgdb.
>>
>> Oh, yeah, I was assuming a dedicated instance... On the theory that two
>> instances of the same thing is more desirable than one instance of this
>> and another instance of that.
>>

> While I think having an instance of pkgdb to maintain the ever growing
> package base in RDO is a good thing (especially as people start needing
> different acls for different packages for different projects), I still
> feel it's worthwhile having something higher level (even if it's just a
> wiki page) tracking the big tent projects themselves by name, and who is
> responsible for them (maybe links to some of the packages in pkgdb).
> Could also include a small description of the project, link to the git
> repo, and maybe a link to the bugzilla bug component for it.
>
>>From a user perspective pkgdb is a bit too low level (trying to figure
> out the package name for a project can be non-trivial sometimes, and
> some projects are complicated and have more than one "main package").
> All I want to know is "Is Designate in RDO? If not, has someone
> committed to packaging it? What's its progress? If it's in RDO, who's
> responsible for it? How do I flag problems?".
>
> Then if someone (perhaps from a project itself) wants to get it into
> RDO, we can have a small workflow for getting it review, dist git
> branches setup, and the page officially updated to say this project is
> incoming to RDO (and then updated when it's officially in).
>
> I'll volunteer to help run/maintain such a page/db if people think it's
> a good idea

+1, I have no objection to someone investigating pkgdb usage, but I
agree with all of your points above. This is more about high level
status and advertising what's in RDO and what's planned on getting into RDO

Go ahead and start a page. I think this is something we'd want linked
off of the main rdoproject.org page