[Rdo-list] Integration of MidoNet into RDO Manager

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 16:17:02 UTC 2015

On 07/30/2015 07:14 AM, Perry Myers wrote:
>> >Well, for our packages, Fedora and EL would be fairly different. The
>> >MidoNet core is written in Java/Scala, so much more (tools, deps) is
>> >missing from EL, e.g. gradle and of course lots of artifacts. So we
>> >should target EPEL, I guess.
> I wouldn't follow Adam's advice here (starting with Fedora). Especially
> for the SDN solution which is Java based. That would lead to a lot of
> pain and overhead.

Heh...I still stand by it.  But, to be clear:  make sure the parts that
you want to ship with RDO are build able on Fedora;  We want to be able
to test against as far upstream as possible.  I tend to develop on
Fedora and then test against Centos and RHEL.

For the Java stuff....yeah, it can be a lot of work, but ultimately is
worth the effort.  We went through a lot of packaging pain for Dogtag,
whcih is part of Barbican...Dogtag was, I think, the first Tomcat
Application that got into Fedora.  WIth JPackage etc, getting RPMs for
the Software you have is manageable.  But all that is is beyond the
string need for the Neutron Plugin.

SO, it depends on how far you want to go.  If you only care about
getting the plugin into RDO, yeah, you don't need to package the Java
code.  If you want to participate in the RDO and Fedora communities, I'd
recommend getting the packages done correctly, but that can be done over
time.

I'd recommend looking into hosting COPR for the components you want to
build.  You can start with the easy ones.

The Fedora Java team has done a lot of work on getting Maven builds to
be able to select only packages that are themselves part of Fedora.  You
might be surprised at how much packaging you don't actually have to
write today.  As an added benefit, you get code that will help you
installing the rest of MidoNet on a RHEL system.