[Rdo-list] Juno EPEL packages

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 13 03:27:09 UTC 2015

On 1/12/2015 6:06 PM, Haïkel wrote:
> As Alan said, we're willing to support a community Juno/EL6 effort, but
> this is a little more than just rebuilding packages.
> That includes packaging and maintaining missing dependencies on EL6.
>
> At some point, you'll want to migrate to Kilo or later releases, and by that
> time, you should consider moving to EL7.
> Bringing Kilo to EL6 is too much work for little gain (and you'll miss
> features from newer kernels & stuff anyway)
>
> H.

I'm not using RDO but our team has packaged Juno just fine on RHEL 6.5
with additional packages from epel 6, plus probably some updated source
packages that aren't in the fedora repos to satisfy runtime
dependencies, e.g. various oslo libraries.

For Kilo we've moved to RHEL 7 mainly because of the support for python
2.7 being dropped in the community, nova has explicitly broken support
for py27 for example, so unless you're going to maintain patches to
revert those changes the code at runtime might have problems on py26.

--

Thanks,

Matt Riedemann