[Rdo-list] OpenStack Juno: best way to implement quotas?

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 00:20:56 UTC 2015

On 04/29/2015 05:18 PM, Steve Poe wrote:
> I'll try it again, but the shared network did not seem to help
> me. Maybe a little pseudo example of adding projects DevTeamA and
> DevTeamB to your "my-network" would help me? I understand you
> don't have the tenat-ids but let's assume id: 1234 for DevTeamA
> and tenant-id for 5678. Feel free to fill-in the pieces if my
> logic is off.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve
>

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Dan Sneddon <dsneddon at redhat.com
> <mailto:dsneddon at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> On 04/29/2015 04:24 PM, Steve Poe wrote:
>> My colleagues and I are looking at using OpenStack Juno
>> internally using in various install methods (pre-packaged
>> enterprise offering, manual via packages, etc. I picked RDO. I
>> am responsible for
> evaluating
>> quota usage.
>>
>> We'll have different development teams using our environment in
>> one network. Each development team may have their own project
>> where
> quotas
>> can be adjusted when necessary. However, each project/tenant
>> gets its own network. I wish I could associate multiple projects
>> with one
> network.
>>
>> I was hoping to use projects in managing/implementing quotas
>> (instances, cores, ram, storage, etc.) for the dev teams, but
>> maybe I am approaching incorrectly. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Have you tried creating a shared network? I haven't tried to share
> a network between projects, but this works for creating one
> network that multiple tenants can use:
>
> neutron net-create --shared my-network
>
> You would need to run that with admin credentials. Please let the
> list know if this works for you.
>
> -- Dan Sneddon         |  Principal OpenStack Engineer
> dsneddon at redhat.com <mailto:dsneddon at redhat.com> |
> redhat.com/openstack <http://redhat.com/openstack> 650.254.4025
> <tel:650.254.4025>        |  dsneddon:irc   @dxs:twitter

If the shared networks in Neutron work the way I think they do, then
you don't have to associate the project with the network. A shared
network should appear for all tenants and all projects.

- --
Dan Sneddon         |  Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack
650.254.4025        |  dsneddon:irc   @dxs:twitter