[Rdo-list] rdo-manager failures: instack-install-undercloud failing for non-obvious reasons

James Slagle jslagle at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 21:34:39 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 05:08:32PM +0200, Jiří Stránský wrote:
> On 22.4.2015 17:05, Jiří Stránský wrote:

> >>Unfortunately we're pretty much at the mercy of puppet and all of the external
> >>puppet modules here in terms of its helpful output, and the point at which it
> >>chooses to stop applying after an error is encountered. Perhaps some people
> >>more familiar with puppet might chime in here on how to improve this.
> >
> >Changing "puppet apply" to "puppet apply -d" here [1] should give you
> >more output including the commands which are being run at each step.
> >(Hoping i've found the right spot, i'm not very familiar with
> >instack-undercloud.) Perhaps an env variable could be added to switch on
> >the debug output? (It shouldn't be on by default i guess because Puppet
> >prints a lot of stuff then, including potentially sensitive info.)
> >
> >Regarding the problem as a whole, the hostname/domain issue you outlined
> >in another e-mail might be a good clue. It certainly wouldn't be the
> >first time i've seen problems with Puppet caused by FQDN settings. In
> >general it's a good idea to verify that `facter fqdn` prints the same
> >thing as `hostname -f` before running Puppet.
>
> Actually, now i recall that staypuft-installer has a check for this ^^ built
> in, and if the two values don't match, it refuses to run. Maybe we should do
> the same with instack-undercloud.

That's something we could add. And also document that you should use
'hostnamectl set-hostname' to set the hostname.

FWIW, I haven't been able to reproduce this issue testing on CentOS 7. I
briefly tried to get 'facter fqdn' and 'hostnamectl' or 'hostname' to report
something *different* to see if that would cause the problem, but despite my
efforts to break it...they all always report the same thing.

> J.
>

> >Cheers
> >
> >J.
> >
> >[1]
> >https://github.com/rdo-management/instack-undercloud/blob/6f75c8dc3c37d489763b7310a7b57d00e1e70da2/elements/puppet-stack-config/os-refresh-config/configure.d/50-puppet-stack-config#L7

> >>Are you on RHEL 7.1 or CentOS 7? I'll try to reproduce locally and see if I can
> >>get to the bottom of it.

> >>--
> >>-- James Slagle
> >>--