[Rdo-list] DNS resolver problems w/ instack-virt-setup

James Slagle jslagle at redhat.com
Fri Apr 17 16:06:38 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:08:25AM -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> On the overcloud nodes deployed by instack-virt-setup,
> /etc/resolv.conf looks like this:
>
>     search openstacklocal
>     nameserver 192.168.122.1
>
> That's not a useful address for either of these nodes, on which
> external connectivity -- at least on the controller -- is via
> eth0/br-ex on the 192.0.2.0/24 network.  Even worse, on the controller
> "192.168.122.1" is actually the address of the local "virbr0"
> interface configured by libvirt, so DNS requests aren't going to go
> anywhere useful.
>
> There are obviously a number of ways to fix this, including setting up
> dnsmasq on the undercloud node and using that instead.  How is this
> supposed to work?  Did the deployments script screw up, or did I miss
> something in the docs?

I think we might have a couple of patches posted that are in review that might
help with these issues:

https://review.gerrithub.io/230339
https://review.gerrithub.io/230143

Also makes sure ip forwarding is enabled on the host machine:
sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
(This needs to get added to the documentation).

Thanks for helping to try things out.

--
-- James Slagle