[Rdo-list] Juno vs Kilo in Fedora 22

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:46:21 UTC 2015

> Did we had an outcome of this?

Status is that we missed F22 Beta freeze on Mar 31, now fesco freeze
exception is required and Kilo import is still not completed in
Rawhide.
I'm also having second thoughts after thinking about Ihar's feedback
last week on IRC where he questioned whether the price of maintaining
openstack-* packages in stable Fedora is worth it when nobody is
actually using them. Until proven otherwise, we're assuming typical
OpenStack user on Fedora is interested in development and wants only
latest packages, so CVE fixes and upstream stable point release
updates are wasted. Production users are expected to run OpenStack on
EL platform, which we provide through RDO.

Instead of rushing Kilo into F22, I was thinking about the following model:
(1) keep latest OpenStack release in Fedora Rawhide, starting from milestone2.
      Delorean stays RDO Trunk as a place for tracking changes on
OpenStack master branch.
(2) deprecate openstack-* in released Fedora to avoid maintenance
overhead for no use
(3) provide Fedora Rawhide builds for current and previous Fedora in RDO repo
      e.g. Kilo would be available for F22 and F21 through RDO
(4) document that for production EL platform is recommended

We cannot retire packages in released Fedora, so I'm not sure about
the process for (2).
f20 branches should definitely be closed since Havana is EOL upstream
and in RDO, so there will be no further updates.
When I tried fedpkg retire in openstack-keystone f20 branch,
"dead.package" commit in dist-git worked[*] but then pkgdb step
failed.
Ideally, we would push an "empty" update which would warn installed
user base that they're running EOLed packages and should migrate to
RDO but I'm not sure there's such mechanism in Fedora Bodhi.
I'd appreciate any and all feedback on the above plan, please point
out the holes it might have.
If the plan makes sense, F22 would stay Juno and it would be
irrelevant which OpenStack release ends up in Fedora >= 23.

Cheers,
Alan

[*] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/openstack-keystone.git/commit/?h=f20&id=2fdfdd6c8eac32334c2a5018fef196b041468979