[Rdo-list] RDO - Icehouse boot from image or snapshot and create a new volume fails

David S. david at zeromail.us
Wed Sep 10 18:46:10 UTC 2014

Dear List,

I just confused why when I try to launch an instance with option to boot
from image and create a new volume always fail during the installation. A
new volume were was created detected as "iso image" and not as a disk. I
know that I can create a new volume then attach to an instance but I think
this is could be a problem because requires additional step to make it
works.

Usually I'm doing like this:

1. launch an instance boot from image and create as volume
2. create a new volume then attach to a new instance and install the
operating system to that volume attached.
2. after the installation complete, the instance must be terminate without
deleting volume
3. launch new instance and boot from volume

My OpenStack Icehouse running on CentOS 6.5 x86_64 single machine.
Why I'm doing 3 steps above? I think I have 2 problems here:

1. Boot options doesn't change to disk after the operating system
installation completed.
2. Disk were created after launch instance with option "boot from image and
create volume" detected as ISO or image it self, so we need to attach
additional volume (disk) into instance.

If any wrong with my setup, please let me know.

Thanks for your help

Best regards,
David S.
p. 087881216110