[Rdo-list] Demo system recommendations

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 18:26:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 02:01:06PM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> So, in retrospect, this was a case of poor planning, but I'd like to figure
> out how to have it not happen again, preferably even if I have to do a demo
> that is completely off-line.

Rich,

It sounds like maybe you had services configured to use an ip address
that was attached to your external interface that -- predictably --
changed when booting in a new environment.

I like to run OpenStack demos inside virtual machines in my laptop.
This makes the network configuration completely independent from my
laptop's external interface.

I use a MASQUERADE rule on the host to give instances in this
environment external access.  That is, rather than attaching a
physical nic to br-ex, I just give br-ex an ip address and then set up
a masquerade rule for anything FROM that address range to eth0;
something like:

    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 172.16.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ irc
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | "   "  @ twitter