[Rdo-list] ssh access to a fedora cloud image instance

Rhys Oxenham roxenham at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 12:21:56 UTC 2014

On 9 Jul 2014, at 13:14, Madko <madko77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks Assaf for the point. But When I try to connect to 169.254.169.254 on the Cirros VM I only get a no route to host. On the Fedora VM, the CloudInit seems to know the IP address of the metadata agent and try to contact this IP (instead of 169.254.169.254). I can't recall where exactly but I remember I read something about neutron doing some NAT with iptables to forward the http request to the right address. How can I check this NAT rules? I don't see anything like this with iptables.

You can check the NAT rules on the L3 agent (if using the default configuration)...

'ip netns list’ to find the router namespace appropriate for the tenant network that your instance is operating in.

You may have to use ‘neutron router-list’ to find the correct UUID.

Then, execute the following to check the NAT rules:

‘ip netns exec qrouter-XXXX iptables -L -t nat’ (replace XXXX with the router ID you found in the previous command)

You should expect something in the output like this:

Chain neutron-l3-agent-PREROUTING (1 references)
REDIRECT   tcp  --  anywhere             169.254.169.254     tcp dpt:http redir ports 9697