[Rdo-list] CentOS 6.5 Guest image file available now

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Jan 18 00:21:17 UTC 2014

On 01/17/2014 10:32 PM, Perry Myers wrote:
> Are they really OpenStack specific though, or are they more 'Cloud
> Enabled CentOS images'?
>
> For Fedora/RHEL, we just have one qcow2 image that works across a
> variety of Cloud platforms.

How do you contextualise for cloudstack / opennebula / brightbox etc ?
Even the AWS images dont quite work as-is all the time everywhere else
down to the xvda -> xvde farkage and how that maps to /dev/sda foo under
kvm.

given enough cycles, its possible for an instance to workout what
controller its running under and then adapt the context scripts to do
the right thing, hopefully with the added bandwidth of community we can
get there.

>> One big difference is that we push an etc/cloud snippet to disable
>> cloud-user and enable root logins ( without passwords ).
>
> Isn't that a potential security issue?  On RHEL guest images we
> explicitly disable root passwords and recommend folks who want to use
> root passwords in their image to set them explicitly after downloading
> an image via a tool like virt-sysprep.

So, no password access; its by key only. Plus, on firstboot we set a
random root password.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh