[Rdo-list] F20 networking refuses to start on boot

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 14:15:10 UTC 2014

[I'm redirecting this to rdo-list for wider exposure.]

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 10:22:36PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 15:40:13 -0500
> Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 01:34:54PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
>
> > > It feels like something simple enough, but... I installed RDO on F20
> > > as a part of Test Day on Tuesday. Then I added a flat network to it,
> > > and I found no better way to do it than to take the main Ethernet
> > > out of the control of NetworkManager by adding NM_CONTROLLED=no to
> > > ifcfg-br-ex and ifcfg-p4p1. Ever since, the box has no network on boot.
> > > I have to log in on console and do "ifdown br-ex; ifup br-ex".
> >
> > Have you installed and activate the "network" service?
> >
> >     chkconfig network on
> >
> > This is the legacy /etc/init.d/network script that brings up
> > networking in the absence of NetworkManager.
>
> I have done it and it makes no difference:

Actually, it looks like I'm experiencing the same issue with br-ex on
my F20 openstack install.  Given an interface configuration file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br-ex that looks like this:

  DEVICE=br-ex
  DEVICETYPE=ovs
  TYPE=OVSBridge
  BOOTPROTO=static
  IPADDR=172.24.4.225
  NETMASK=255.255.255.240
  ONBOOT=yes

After I boot the interface looks like this:

  br-ex: flags=67<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>  mtu 1500
          inet6 fe80::888c:81ff:febd:d8b8  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
          ether 3a:69:08:00:0f:40  txqueuelen 0  (Ethernet)
          RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
          RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
          TX packets 8  bytes 648 (648.0 B)
          TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Running ifdown/ifup as Pete describes correctly configures the
interface.

I'm starting up another F20 system right now to see if this is a
general problem with OVS bridges or if there's something peculiar on
my install.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ irc
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | "   "  @ twitter