[Rdo-list] Why do I need KVM, XEN, if I can use Docker / LXC?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Feb 20 17:24:40 UTC 2014

On 18.02.2014 16:57, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 03:28:20PM +0100, Arash Kaffamanesh wrote:
>> >From Krishnan Subramanian on his blog:
>> "As we move from a world of virtual machines to a world of containers, Red
>> Hat and Docker will emerge as two key players shaping the landscape"
>
> Honestly, don't read too much into any single blog post.
>
>> http://allthingsplatforms.com/platforms/the-importance-of-red-hat-docker-partnership/

To be honest when I finally started playing with Docker I was a bit
underwhelmed. It seems to be not much more than basic tooling around the
linux namespacing capabilities.

The libvirt-sandbox/systemd-nspawn stuff seems to be a much better fit
for this kind of thing as it is geared more at isolating processes in a
usable way whereas Docker appears to aim at running a full System as a
container which is really what the kvm/xen/whatever approach is better for.

What the CoreOS guys are doing with systemd is also interesting:
https://coreos.com/blog/cluster-level-container-orchestration/

Regards,
   Dennis