[Rdo-list] Why do I need KVM, XEN, if I can use Docker / LXC?

Matthias Pfützner matthias.pfuetzner at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 08:11:47 UTC 2014

On 02/18/2014 04:57 PM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 03:28:20PM +0100, Arash Kaffamanesh wrote:
>> >From Krishnan Subramanian on his blog:
>> "As we move from a world of virtual machines to a world of containers, Red
>> Hat and Docker will emerge as two key players shaping the landscape"
> Honestly, don't read too much into any single blog post.

Totally agree... Experiences with Solaris Containers PROOVES, that
Container Technology has very specific use cases, and typically fails
due to OPERATIONAL incapabilities of the organisations...

So, Docker as well as containers will not be the solution to all things
"virtualization" as well as "management"...

Still, Docker is an important part, but it will definitively NOT replace
hypervisors (Type 1!). With Type 1 hypervisors standard operations can
still be applied (on top of RHEV or VMware!), and that's the simply
reason, why they've been so successful!

     Matthias

--
Red Hat GmbH
Matthias Pfützner
email: matthias.pfuetzner at redhat.com
Reg. Adresse:
Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Sitz: Grasbrunn,
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München, HRB 153243
Geschäftsführer: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Paul Hickey, Charles Peters