[Rdo-list] [Rdo-newsletter] RDO Community Newsletter, December 2014

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Dec 2 19:06:14 UTC 2014

December RDO Community Newsletter

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community.

As we head into what is typically a very quiet time of the year for
Open Source projects, I want to wish you all a happy holiday season -
for those who celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, or any other
Winter festival.

Quick links:

* Quick Start - http://openstack.redhat.com/quickstart
* RDO packages -
https://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/openstack/openstack-juno/
* RDO blog - http://rdoproject.org/blog
* Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/

Holiday Slowdown and Stats

This is, as I said above, traditionally a slow time of year. If you
take a look at our community statistics page at
https://openstack.redhat.com/stats/ you can see things start to slow
down for the Christmas break, with a large number of people taking
time off around the US Thanksgiving holiday, and even more time
towards the end of the year.

The community stats page is produced by Bitergia, who are the same
people who produce the upstream OpenStack quarterly reports at
http://bitergia.com/openstack-releases-reports/ but customized to our
community, including activity on RDO mailing lists and traffic on
http://ask.openstack.org/

Hangouts

We are right now in the process of scheduling Hangouts for the coming
months. I don't have anything firm to report right now - watch
rdo-list for more news soon. If you'd like to talk about what your
company is doing with RDO and OpenStack, please let me know
(rbowen at redhat.com) so that I can get you on the schedule.

Meanwhile, you can watch all of our past hangouts at
https://openstack.redhat.com/Hangouts#Past_Hangouts

Upcoming Events

Your next opportunity to rub elbows with a number of the RDO
OpenStack Engineering crowd is at FOSDEM - http://fosdem.org/ -
31 January & 1 February 2015 in Brussels, Belgium. Although the
schedue isn't yet posted, you can be sure to hear more about this
event in the coming weeks, as the various calls for papers close and
the schedules are finalized. FOSDEM is the largest Open Source
gathering in Europe, and always a highlight of the year when it comes
to gathering with colleagues from varied software disciplines.

Following FOSDEM, don't miss Config Management Camp in nearby Ghent -
http://cfgmgmtcamp.eu/ - where you can learn about configuration
management tools like Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Juju, and many others.

Blogs

The weeks following OpenStack Summit in Paris have been very fruitful
in terms of blog posts. You can read some of the posts from members of
the RDO community on the RDO blog at http://openstack.redhat.com/blog/

You should also watch the OpenStack Planet for a broader view of
what's going on in the OpenStack community at large, at
http://planet.openstack.org/

Questions and Answers

Probably the best place to get answers about anything related to
OpenStack, other than showing up at the OpenStack Summit, is
http://ask.openstack.org/, where there's not only a huge number of
experts waiting to answer your questions, but also an archive of
questions that have already been asked and answered, which you can
search to see if your scenario has ever come up before.

If you're an expert yourself, please make a New Year's resolution to
spend a few minutes every week answering a question or two, and
contributing your knowledge back to the larger community.

In Closing ...

As always, I'll close with an encouragement to take a moment to
connect with the RDO community via one of our many forums:

* Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
* Google+ - http://goo.gl/BOl85m
* Facebook - http://facebook.com/rdocommunity
* RDO Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/
* IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

--
Rich Bowen, OpenStack Community Liaison
rbowen at redhat.com
http://openstack.redhat.com