[Rdo-list] [Rdo-newsletter] RDO Newsletter, April 2014

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Fri Apr 4 20:16:38 UTC 2014

Happy Birthday RDO!

Happy Birthday RDO! It's been a year since we launched the RDO
project, in an attempt to make installing OpenStack on CentOS,
Fedora, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux a more pleasant experience. In
that year we've grown from nothing to over 2000 downloads a day, and
our community has grown to thousands across mailing lists, IRC
channel, Twitter, Google+, and ask.openstack.org. You can see some of
the statistics around the RDO effort at
http://openstack.redhat.com/stats/ compiled by our friends at
Bitergia.

Thank you all for your participation in this effort, and for your
hard work in making it happen! Thanks for being part of the RDO
community!

Please Take the OpenStack Community Survey

Once again, the OpenStack Foundation is conducting a survey of
OpenStack users. Please take ten minutes to fill out the survey, so
that we can get a clearer picture of who is using OpenStack, what
they're using it for, and how they'll be using it in the coming year.
Start the survey at https://www.openstack.org/user-survey/Login

Hangouts

Last week, Flavio Percoco gave us a great introduction to OpenStack
Marconi. Marconi is a project to develop a messaging and notification
service, which is undergoing OpenStack incubation. If you missed it,
you can watch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe7qI3WY97c If you
have followup questions, you can take them to the #openstack-marconi
IRC channel on the Freenode network.

You can see other past hangouts at
http://openstack.redhat.com/Hangouts

In April we'll be doing another hangout. This time the Heat team will
be telling us about how you can use Heat to orchestrate your cloud.
Watch http://openstack.redhat.com/Events for more details as they
become available.

April and May events

April and May are exciting months for OpenStack, as we anticipate the
OpenStack Icehouse release on April 17th, and the OpenStack Juno
Summit starting May 12 in Atlanta -
https://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-summit-atlanta-2014/
But that's not all that's going on.

In the RDO community we've been following the CentOS Cloud SIG effort
closely. We see a lot of people deploying production OpenStack clouds
with RDO on CentOS and Scientific Linux, and so we are excited to see
the CentOS developer community working towards a strong Cloud
ecosystem. CentOS will be holding a dojo (community event) at the
CloudStack Collaboration Conference (CCC) in Denver, Colorado, on
April 10th. This event will include discussion of cloud deployments
on CentOS. If you're attending either CCC or ApacheCon
(http://na.apachecon.com/ ) consider staying for the CentOS dojo. See
the schedule of events at
http://cloudstackcollabconference2014.sched.org/overview/type/centos+dojo#.UzHcsnWx2Kt

and register at
https://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1499698

The following week, April 14-17, the Red Hat Summit will be held in
San Francisco. In addition to content about Red Hat Enterprise Linux
and other Red Hat products, there will be a substantial number of
OpenStack and RDO talks, which we've listed in the blog post at
http://openstack.redhat.com/forum/discussion/970/red-hat-summit-april
-14th-17th-san-francisco

OpenStack is currently in Feature Freeze. Thierry has a great
explanation at
http://fnords.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/why-we-do-feature-freeze/ of
why we do this. And on April 17th, we expect OpenStack Icehouse to be
released.

Then, two weeks later, we'll be in Atlanta for the OpenStack Summit.
It's the best place to learn about OpenStack, from installation to
monitoring, from community to code. And RDO will be there. We'll have
a booth where we'll be doing demos of various aspects of OpenStack
using RDO, and we'll have engineers there presenting a wide range of
presentations and hands-on labs - you can find those listed at
http://community.redhat.com/events/#openstacksummitus If you're at
Summit, please drop by the RDO booth to tell us your OpenStack
stories.

For those of you on the opposite side of the planet, LinuxCon Tokyo
will be held May 20-22, and RDO will have a booth presence there,
too, with several people from the RDO community in attendance. You
can see more information about that event at
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-japan although as
of this writing the schedule has not yet been published.

Stay in touch

There's lots of ways to stay in touch with what's going on at RDO.

For question-and-answer, we rely on http://ask.openstack.org/ Just be
sure to tag your question as #rdo if you want the attention of the
RDO engineers. ask.openstack.org gives you access to the best minds
in the OpenStack community, as well as an archive of previous
questions and answers that you can search.

If you're more of a mailing list fan, the rdo-list mailing list is
the place to be. It's fairly low volume - 3-5 messages a day - and a
great place to get personal attention to your questions.

And if you just want to get periodic updates on what's going on,
we're on Twitter at @RDOCommunity. And don't forget to look at
http://openstack.redhat.com/Events to see where RDO people will be
speaking around the world.

--