[Rdo-list] [OFI] Speeding up OFI provisioning in Dev env

Martyn Taylor mtaylor at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 13:28:57 UTC 2014

If you are like me and you have a dog slow connection and you are
wanting to test orchestration on using Staypuft, it can take forever and
a day.  The main issue for me was that the network installs were taking
hours, if you are using Fedora etc... you can quite easily use a proxy
like Squid to cache everything.  However, I am using RHEL which is
usually behind SSL.  It's not impossible to get round this with squid,
but you'll need to play around with man in the middle stuff.

One quick and easy way to speed up network install for RHEL and any
other distro, is just to download the DVD iso, mount it, then service it
up via apache.  You'll still need to do some public traffic as you'lll
need to download all the OpenStack modules etc... but this has taken
provision time of a host for me from about 90 mins to about 15mins.
Since we are provisioning sequentially that makes a massive difference.

Here are the steps involved:

*1. Add a entry in /etc/hosts for your virtual host:*

192.168.100.1 mirrors.local

*2. create a new virtual host file, /etc/httpd/conf.d/06-local-mirrors.conf*

<VirtualHost  mirrors.local:80>
   ServerName mirrors.local

   DocumentRoot /var/www/html/repos
</VirtualHost>

<Directory "/var/www/html/repos">
     Options +Indexes
</Directory>

*3. Download the your ISO of choice and mount it somewhere:*

mkdir /mnt/rhel-iso
mount -o loop <ISO> /mnt/rhel-iso
*
**4. Create symlink to the ISO*

mkdir /var/www/html/repos
ln -s /mnt/rhel-iso /var/www/html/repos

*5. Add your new install media in foreman as normal, adding the URL to
your ISO*

path: http://mirrors.local/rhel