[Rdo-list] RDO forum unanswered posts

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 26 07:15:58 UTC 2013

Nice list, but making it necessary to know the link is not going to scale
well. Is it possible to add a button to the forum page next to "All
Discussions"? And maybe apply the RDO (forum) design to it?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/25/2013 11:32 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 06/25/2013 05:02 PM, Perry Myers wrote:
>>
>>> Likewise, any chance we could get an 'unresolved' list?  That way we
>>> could see posts that have been answered (at least once) but are still
>>> pending some resolution?
>>>
>> Marking discussions "RESOLVED" in the title, or with a resolved label,
>> has not scaled. I don't know how else to measure whether a thread is
>> resolved or not. Are you suggesting we retroactively resolve all the
>> threads which have been resolved to date? There are a great many where
>> the original poster hasn't let us know one way or another.
>>

> Yeah, I wanted to do something like that, but there's simply no reliable
> way to tell whether a given post has reached resolution. There's also a lot
> of posts that have had a response, but no answer. Like, the response was a
> 'me too' or was a 'is anyone out there', and now it doesn't show up in the
> 'unanswered' query.
>
> So, this is a very rough estimate.

Well, maybe do the same that works with bugs (e.g. done with bugs that
affect a Fedora release that's going EOL, or with Fedora package review
requests that go stale): After it's been "answered"  (i.e. has any kind of
response), wait <some amount of time>, then post a
please-let-us-know-if-this-is-still-an-issue note and if nothing follows,
again after <some amount of time>, mark as resolved. I imagine that can be
automated with some scripting-fu. Note that it should ideally be possible
to un-resolve a thread again.

If you do have the email address, you could also post the note to the OP
directly instead of spamming the forum (to avoid the notes bumping the
stale thread to the front page again and drowning newer threads by doing
so).

-- Sandro