[Rdo-list] [Rdo-newsletter] RDO Community Newsletter: December 2013

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 17:20:42 UTC 2013

Thanks for being a part of the RDO community! This is an important
newsletter, as there are some changes coming to the RDO website that
you'll want to know about.

*ask.rdoproject.org*

The Q&A aspects of our forum have now moved to ask.openstack.org,
using the #RDO tag to distinguish content that is RDO-specific. The
url ask.rdoproject.org is simply a handy redirect to
ask.openstack.org showing all questions that are for RDO.

The advantages of this move are many, including engaging a larger
community of experts, and getting many of the features in the forum
which a number of you have expressed frustration about.

The transition period is likely to be a little rocky, and we want to
ensure that your questions which you've already asked here are not
abandoned in the move. There's a few things that you can do to help
out, if you're one of the people who have unanswered questions
pending at the time of the move.

1) If you want to post a new question, post it at
https://ask.openstack.org/en/questions/ask/?tags=rdo If you don't
already have an ask.openstack.org account, go ahead and create one.
a.o.o accepts OAuth logins, so you can use your Google account, or
LaunchPad, or a variety of other OAuth sources.

2) If you want to see the RDO questions that are already on
ask.openstack, you can see them at http://ask.rdoproject.org/ We're
also working on pulling a feed of those questions over to the RDO
site, to make it easier to pick out the RDO-specific conversations.

3) If you already have a question that you've posted to the RDO
forum, and it's not answered yet, you might want to move it over to
ask.openstack.org where it can get more eyes on it. If you do so,
please add [MOVED to a.o.o] in the subject line here, so that we know
to go look there. You could also add the URL of the new location in
the message itself.

4) If you're a frequent poster on ask.openstack and wish to identify
yourself as part of the RDO community, consider adding the RDO logo
to your avatar, like Lars:
https://ask.openstack.org/en/users/1745/larsks/

*Keep In Touch*

Although the forum is already seeing less traffic, we still want to
stay in touch. There are several different ways to do this.

Subscribe to the main RDO mailing list - rdo-list - at
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list This is the main
mailing list for user support, discussion, and community updates.

We're on Twitter, at @rdocommunity, and we're on Google Plus, at
https://plus.google.com/communities/110409030763231732154 and there's
always lots of good content from various RDO engineers at
http://openstack.redhat.com/planet/

And there's still the forum - http://openstack.redhat.com/forum/ -
where we'll continue to post about events, releases, and other
community news. You can subscribe for email updates in your user
profile, or you can subscribe to the RSS feed at
http://openstack.redhat.com/forum/discussions/feed.rss

Finally, you can manage your subscription to this newsletter at
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-newsletter

*Test Day*

We're tentatively planning the first RDO Test Day of 2014 for January
7th and 8th. Details are still a little sketchy, so please watch the
rdo-list mailing list and the RDO Blog - http://openstack.redhat.com/blog/
- for updates in the days and weeks to come. We'll be testing the first
drops of the Icehouse release.

*Other Events

*November and early December have been busy with meetups, and there's
more to come.

On November 13th, RDO was featured on the FLOSS Weekly podcast, and
you can listen to/watch the interview at
http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/273

Dan Radez did a series of meetups in the north eastern United States,
hitting Philadelphia, Rocky Hill CT, and New York in three days. You
can see his slides at
http://www.slideshare.net/danradez/open-stackmeetup-11-2013

OpenStack In Action, Paris, was held December 5th. Kashyap has a
writeup at
http://kashyapc.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/openstack-in-action-paris-5dec2013-quick-recap/

And the OpenStack CERN meetup was on December 6th -
http://www.meetup.com/openstack-ch/events/138151562/ - with 63 people
in attendance.

OpenStack Israel - http://www.openstack-israel.org/ - was held
December 9th in Jaffa and reports are just starting to come in.
Follow @OpenStackIL on Twitter for the latest updates.

And coming up there's the inaugural Cincinnatti OpenStack Meetup -
http://www.meetup.com/openstack-cincinnati/events/140978162/ - on
December 17th. I'll be at that one, and will be bringing a little bit
of RDO swag along. I'd love to meet some of you.

If you're looking a little further out, don't forget that FOSDEM -
https://fosdem.org/2014/ - will be in Brussels, January 1st - 2nd,
and there will be a Virtualization and IaaS DevRoom there -
https://fosdem.org/2014/schedule/track/virtualisation_and_iaas/ -
where you can learn a lot about OpenStack, among other things, and
meet some of the RDO community.

*Articles*

As always, the RDO community has been producing a great deal of new
content - blogs, wiki pages, and so on.

There's a new page in the wiki on the modular layer 2 (ML2) plugin -
http://openstack.redhat.com/Modular_Layer_2_(ML2)_Plugin .

Adam Young writes about submitting patches to Keystone, in 'Expect
the minus one' -
http://adam.younglogic.com/2013/11/expect-the-minus-one/

Lars Kellogg-Stedman writes about a collection of useful OpenStack
tools at http://blog.oddbit.com/2013/11/12/a-random-collection/

Matthias Runge wrote up his experience at the OpenStack Summit:
http://www.matthias-runge.de/wordpress/2013/11/12/openstack-summit-hong-kong/

And there's so much more. You can get all caught up at
http://openstack.redhat.com/planet/

*In Closing*

Please don't hesitate to send me any comments you may have, either
via email (rbowen at redhat.com) or Twitter (@rdocommunity), or on IRC
(#rdo on Freenode). We want to know what we're doing right and wrong.

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
For the RDO community